We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Emily: I’ve wanted to go to Croatia for the last several years. I heard wonderful things about the country and how beautiful (and relatively affordable) it was compared to the rest of Europe. It’s located in Eastern Europe and is just a few hours from Venice, Italy, making it a great side trip.
Last year, my friends and I organized a group trip to visit Rovinj, a small coastal town on the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia. It’s a gorgeous town full of romance. Everything is stunning there, from the streets to the houses. The food is also excellent.
We went for a kizomba dance festival. Later in the trip report series, I will introduce you to kizomba and describe what an incredible dance it is! The dance festival was amazing and Croatia is definitely a place I want to return and spend more time exploring! The trip’s retail cost was ~$17,000 but I paid ~$900.
Captivating Croatia Trip Report Index:
- Part 1 – Introduction and Planning
- Part 2 – Admirals Club Lounge, New York (JFK)
- Part 3 – Air Berlin Flight to Croatia
- Part 4 – Getting to Venice
- Part 5 – A Night in Venice – Gritti Palace Hotel Overview
- Part 6 – A Night in Venice – Gritti Palace Hotel Room
- Part 7 – Apartment in Rovinj, Croatia
- Part 8 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Discovering the Old Town
- Part 9 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Exploring the Old Church
- Part 10 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Day Trip to Plitvice Lakes
- Part 11 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Dance Festival Review
- Part 12 – Eating in Rovinj, Croatia
- Part 13 – Shopping in Rovinj, Croatia
- Part 14 – Return Flight on Lufthansa
- Part 15 – Conclusion & Reader Giveaway
After Croatia, I flew to Paris to spend some time dancing there. I had an amazing time! I got to see many of my friends who I had met in Rovinj, and felt like I had a 2nd family already. They were so welcoming and fun to be around…it was so hard to go back to the States.
I used 70,000 United Airlines miles to book my flight home from Paris to Washington, DC, in Lufthansa Business Class. United Airlines charges more for partner airline Business and First Class awards than it does on their own planes.
I couldn’t find available award seats all the way back to Austin, so I decided to spend the weekend in DC and visit my best friend.
For my flight to Austin, I used Southwest points that I transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards.
The inside of the plane felt spacious.
The plane looked newer.
I settled in for the long flight.
Soon after takeoff, we were served dinner.
The food was alright. I actually much preferred Air Berlin’s food in coach!
Flying on Lufthansa Business Class was a great experience, but I think I would have preferred saving my miles and flying in coach. It costs 70,000 United Airlines miles for a 1-way Business Class ticket on Lufthansa to fly from Paris to the US.