Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
The highest-ever 35,000 Starwood point sign-up bonus on the AMEX Starwood cards is back!
Through April 5, 2017, you can earn up to 35,000 Starwood points on the personal and small business versions of the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express cards after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements.
That’s an excellent deal! Because 35,000 Starwood points is enough for an award night at the most luxurious Category 7 Starwood hotels, like The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort in Mexico. Rooms there can easily cost $800+ per night!
I’ll explain the details of this offer. And help you decide if you should consider applying!
Earn a Big Bonus With the Starwood American Express Cards
With the personal AMEX Starwood card, you’ll earn 25,000 Starwood points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. And 10,000 more Starwood points for spending another $2,000 on purchases within the first 6 months.
And with the AMEX Starwood small business card, you’ll earn 25,000 Starwood points after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. And 10,000 more Starwood points for spending another $3,000 on purchases within the first 6 months.
With either offer, you’ll earn a total of 35,000 Starwood points after meeting the tiered minimum spending requirements!
You’ll also get:
- 2X Starwood points per $1 you spend at Starwood hotels (includes Aloft, Design Hotels, Element, Four Points, Le Meridien, Sheraton, St Regis, The Luxury Collection, Tribute Portfolio, Westin and W brand hotels)
- 1X Starwood point per $1 you spend on everything else
- Unlimited use of Boingo Wi-Fi hotspots (excluding in-flight)
- For small business cardholders, access to Sheraton Club lounges (free breakfast and hors d’oeuvres) for cardholder and 1 guest staying in the same room (3rd-party bookings are excluded).
- 2 stay credits or 5 night credits toward Starwood Elite Status
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms & limitations apply
The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year on both cards.
Note: American Express only allows folks to get the sign-up bonus ONCE per person, per lifetime on ALL their cards.
Is This a Good Deal?
It’s a fantastic deal, because the normal offer for these cards is only 25,000 Starwood points.
I explained why 5,000 extra Starwood points is a big deal. So 10,000 extra Starwood points is even better!
And when you link your Marriott and Starwood accounts, you can transfer points between your Starwood and Marriott accounts at a 1:3 ratio (and get an instant status match between programs!). So the 35,000 Starwood point sign-up bonus is worth 105,000 Marriott points (35,000 points X 3).
Nights here can easily cost ~$550+. So you can definitely get Big Travel with Small Money with the increased sign-up bonus on the AMEX Starwood cards.
Read my post about making the most of your Starwood and Marriott points after the merger.
What Can You Do With Starwood Points?
I’ve written about the best ways to use Starwood points.
They’re valuable because they’re hard to earn, aside from staying at Starwood hotels. And there are LOTS of great ways to use them, like:
- Free stays at 5,700+ Starwood AND Marriott hotels around the world
- Inexpensive hotel stays using the Cash + Points perk
- Many airline transfer partners like American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, British Airways, Emirates, and more
- The 5th night free perk at Starwood Category 3 to 7 hotels
- 5 nights and 2 airline tickets to Disney World
And don’t forget, through March 31, 2017, you can earn the Southwest Companion Pass with hotel points. Read about Million Mile Secrets team member Harlan’s experience doing that here.
Plus, you’ll get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points you transfer to partner airlines with a 1:1 ratio, like American Airlines, Delta, and British Airways.
When you include the points you’ll earn from the tiered minimum spending requirement on the AMEX Starwood personal or small business card, you could transfer the bonus to partner airlines and earn 50,000 airline miles!
Because when you spend $5,000 with either card within the first 3 months of opening your account, you’ll earn at least 5,000 Starwood points. That’s in addition to the 35,000 Starwood point sign-up bonus.
Then you can turn your 40,000 Starwood points into 50,000 airline miles (20,000 Starwood points gets you 25,000 airline miles X 2)! That’s enough for 2 round-trip coach tickets within the US on airlines like Delta and American Airlines!
Should You Sign-Up?
If you haven’t had these cards before, now is an excellent time to apply! Because I doubt the bonus will go higher.
If you recently applied for one of these cards with the lower bonus, it’s worth calling AMEX to see if they’ll match the higher offer. But there’s no guarantee.
Remember, AMEX only allows folks to have 5 personal credit cards open at one time. So if you’re denied for this reason, you might try calling and offer to close one of your other cards.
Looking for more ways to use the sign-up bonus? Check out these posts:
- 7 Week-Long Vacations You Can Take With Starwood’s 35,000-Point Bonus
- 7 Best US Starwood Hotels to Book With Points
- 5 Totally Free and Fantastic 5-Day Hotel Stays Using This Limited-Time Bonus
- 5 Top Hotels in Europe to Book With Starwood Points
- 5 Best US Beaches to Enjoy With Limited-Time AMEX Starwood Bonus
- 5 Top Hotels in the Caribbean and Mexico to Book With Starwood Points
- 5 Fantastic US Marriott Hotels to Book Using Starwood Points
- 11 Consecutive Nights in Fun Places With 1 Starwood Bonus
- 7 Fun Travel Goals Once You Have the Starwood Card
I’ve only seen the bonus this high once before. And because of the Starwood – Marriott merger, I’m not sure how much longer these cards will last. So if you haven’t had either of these cards before, now is a great time to apply!
Do you plan on taking advantage of this limited-time deal?