Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
You can fly to lots of destinations in the US, Caribbean, and Mexico starting at just $39 one-way in coach. I found flights from New York to Washington, DC, for $52 one-way in coach on April 11, 2017.
Here are the details. And how to search for deals from your city!
How to Book It
Link: Southwest Fare Sale
1. JetBlue Fare Sale
The JetBlue sale is on today and tomorrow only! So you’ll have to book soon if you want the best deals. Here are the details:
- You must book by March 22, 2017 (the earlier of 11:59 pm Eastern Time or local time)
- Your travel must be between April 4, 2017,and June 14, 2017
- Blackout dates are from April 8, 2017, to April 23, 2017, and May 20, 2017, to May 31, 2017
Some routes might have different or additional day of week restrictions and blackout dates. You’ll have to click on the fare you want to see the full restrictions.
Remember, the cost of a JetBlue award flight is tied to the price of the ticket. So when there’s a fare sale, you’ll pay fewer points! And JetBlue points are usually worth ~1.4 cents each (though you’ll have to pay taxes & fees for an award flight).
2. Southwest Fare Sale
Southwest’s fare sale ends on April 6, 2017. But the best fares go quickly, so you’ll want to book as soon as possible! Here are the details:
- You must purchase your travel at least 21 days in advance
- Continental US travel is valid from April 11, 2017, to June 14, 2017, and August 22, 2017, to November 11, 2017
- Travel dates may vary for cities outside the contiguous US
- Domestic and San Juan, Puerto Rico travel is blacked out from May 25, May 26, May 29, September 1, and September 4, 2017.
- Domestic travel is valid only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays
There are additional restrictions, so take a look at the Terms & Conditions. And make sure to read this post on 8 important things about flying Southwest. And 5 tips on how to tell a Southwest sale is worthwhile!
And like JetBlue, the number of Southwest points you pay is tied to the price of the ticket. So when Southwest has a sale, you’ll pay fewer points for an award seat! You can usually get a value of ~1.25 to ~1.43 cents per Southwest point.
Note: If you’ve already booked a Southwest flight, but see a lower price with this sale, you can cancel your booking for free and re-book with this sale price!
Folks with the JetBlue Plus Card from Barclaycard or JetBlue Business Card from Barclaycard get a free first checked bag for the cardholder and up to 3 companions on the same reservation when you use your card to pay for your ticket.
Keep in mind you have 24 hours to cancel a reservation if the flight is at least 7 days away. So, you can take advantage of these extremely cheap fares and finalize plans later.
In addition to the savings, there are lots of other benefits to flying Southwest including:
- Cancel Without Penalty – You can always book now and cancel later. On award flights the points and taxes will be refunded. And if you book a paid flight, as long as you cancel within 10 minutes before your flight, you’ll get a credit towards another Southwest flight (good for 1 year)
- Change Without Fees – If your plans change, you can make adjustments to your flight for free. However, if your new flight costs more, you’ll have to pay the difference.
- 2 Checked Bags for Free – Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags. This saves you ~$25 per bag.
- Bring Someone Along for the Ride for Free – With the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member flies with you for free for up to 2 years! This is an amazing deal and it’s the reason why Emily and I fly Southwest almost exclusively on domestic flights. You can earn the Companion Pass in 8 easy steps!
If you book a sale flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending.
Remember, you can transfer flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards to different hotel programs.
Note: If you prefer to book paid stays, check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized!).
Airbnb is another terrific way to save money on accommodations, especially for longer stays. Here are some tips on how to negotiate a better Airbnb price, and how to find a safe and comfortable Airbnb.