We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
If you’ve been anxious to plan your fall travel, here’s some good news!
Via Frequent Miler, Southwest has opened their schedule through November 3, 2018. So if you’re planning to travel for Labor Day, Halloween, or just a nice warm beach with no summer tourists this fall, seats are wide open! Southwest flies to lots of fun destinations in the US, and lots of beautiful places south of the border.
It’s a good idea to book your Southwest tickets as far in advance as possible. If your plans change (or the price of your ticket drops), you can change or cancel your flight without penalty.
Here’s what you need to know.
Southwest Extends Schedule With New Routes
Link: Southwest Press Release
You can now book Southwest flights (paid and award tickets) through November 3, 2018. So if you’re looking to visit friends or family this fall, now is a good time to book your tickets!
And with Southwest, you can fly relatively inexpensively to spots like Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, and Dominican Republic.
Southwest is also releasing new routes! Here’s what you can expect in the coming months.
1. New Routes
March 8, 2018
- Milwaukee and Houston
- Fort Lauderdale and Aruba
March 10, 2018
- Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos to Sacramento and San Jose, California
- Indianapolis to Cancun (seasonal)
- Tampa to Detroit and Omaha (seasonal)
- San Diego to Puerto Vallarta (seasonal)
March 11, 2018
- Sacramento to New Orleans
- San Diego to El Paso
October 3, 2018
- Houston to Columbus and Louisville
- Denver to Memphis
October 7, 2018
- Oklahoma City to Nashville
- Denver to El Paso
2. Seasonal Routes Returning
Southwest will add seasonal nonstop flights between these following cities:
October 3, 2018
- Albany and Las Vegas
October 6, 2018
- Cleveland and Orlando
- Milwaukee and Fort Myers
October 7, 2018
- Oakland and Tucson
In addition to the savings, there are lots of other benefits to flying Southwest including:
- Cancel Without Penalty – You can always book now and cancel later. On award flights the points and taxes will be refunded. And if you book a paid flight, as long as you cancel within 10 minutes before your flight, you’ll get a credit towards another Southwest flight (good for 1 year).
- Change Without Fees – If your plans change, you can make adjustments to your flight for free. However, if your new flight costs more, you’ll have to pay the difference.
- 2 Checked Bags for Free – Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags. This saves you ~$25 per bag.
- Bring Someone Along for the Ride for Free – With the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member flies with you for free for up to 2 years! And you can earn the Companion Pass in 8 easy steps!
Want More Southwest Points?
The quickest way to earn Southwest points is by opening the Chase Southwest credit cards.
Both the Chase Southwest Plus and Chase Southwest Premier cards currently come with 50,000 Southwest points after meeting minimum spending requirements. And the Chase Southwest Premier Small Business card comes with 60,000 Southwest points after meeting minimum spending requirements.
Southwest points are generally worth ~1.6 cents each towards flights.
To get the Southwest Companion Pass (which I consider the best deal in travel), you must earn 110,000 Southwest points in a calendar year. Then a friend or family member can fly with you for (almost) free for up to 2 years.
So by opening 1 personal and 1 small business Southwest credit card and meeting minimum spending requirements, you’ll have nearly enough points to qualify!
The Southwest schedule is now open through November 3, 2018. And they’ve announced several new nonstop routes!
It’s a good idea to book your desired flights before the dates you want are gone or prices increase. Because if your plans change, you change or cancel your flight without penalty. And lots of folks travel during the fall for things like homecoming weekends and autumn leaf tours.
Plus, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member can join you for (almost) free every time you fly Southwest for up to 2 years!