Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
INSIDER SECRET: Southwest doesn’t have blackout dates for award flights, but be aware that the points price is linked to the cash price so more expensive flights will cost more points.
If you’re trying to earn a Southwest Companion for the rest of 2019 (and all of 2020) you’re in luck because the increased 60,000 Southwest-point personal credit card offers are back. You’ll earn the full bonus after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements with these cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
Southwest points are generally worth ~1.5 cents each toward travel. So 60,000 Southwest points are worth ~$900 in Southwest flights. And don’t forget that Southwest doesn’t just fly domestically, they also serve 10 Caribbean & Central American countries, including Aruba, Jamaica, Belize, Costa Rica and the Bahamas.
Chase Southwest Credit Card 60,000 Point Offers
- 40,000 Southwest points after spending $1,000 in the first three months of account opening
- 20,000 additional Southwest points after spending $12,000 in the first year of account opening
These increased deals are extra enticing because they can help you to earn the holy grail of travel, the Southwest Companion Pass, more easily.
With the Southwest Companion Pass, you can bring a friend or family member with you for just the cost of taxes and fees. It doesn’t matter if your flight is booked with points or paid for with cash – your companion flies with you for just the cost of taxes. That means your points are worth effectively twice as much.
One way to earn the Southwest Companion Pass is to earn 110,000 Southwest points in a calendar year. The quickest and simplest method to do this is by opening one personal card along with one of the two Southwest business cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card — 60,000 Southwest points after spending $3,000 within the first three months
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card — 80,000 bonus points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
Just remember, you can only hold one Southwest personal credit card at a time. So if you’ve opened a Southwest card in the past and the account is still open, you won’t be eligible to open another Southwest personal card and these cards are subject to the Chase 5/24 rule, so if you’ve opened five or more cards from any bank in the past 24 months (except for certain business cards) you won’t be eligible for the Southwest credit card offers.
Want to learn more about Southwest Airlines points? Check out these guides:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards review
- Best way to use Southwest Points
- How to earn Southwest points
- How to use Southwest points
- Do Southwest points expire?
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Simon Dannhauer/Shutterstock.