Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
1. Registration Open for Hyatt’s “Discover New Possibilities” Promotion
I wrote that you can earn up to 50,000 points for Hyatt stays between September 9, 2013 and November 30, 2013. You can now register for the promotion using this link!
As a recap, you can earn up to 50,000 points through this offer:
- Stay 5 Nights – Earn 5,000 Bonus Points (5,000 Total)
- Stay 10 Nights – Earn 10,000 Bonus Points (15,000 Total)
- Stay 15 Nights – Earn 15,000 Bonus Points (30,000 Total)
- Stay 20 Nights – Earn 20,000 Bonus Points (50,000 Total)
It may take 2 to 3 weeks for the bonus points to post to your account.
Hotels are increasingly occupied (so they don’t need to offer promotions to fill hotels), so I’m glad that Hyatt at least has a promotion this quarter. It may not be the most lucrative promotion, but something is better than nothing!
2. Swiss Restricts First Class Awards to Elite HON Circle Members and Senator Members
I’ve written that Lufthansa miles is one of the easiest way to travel on Swiss First Class because Swiss doesn’t block First Class availability to Miles and More members. This is an expensive option at 85,000 Lufthansa miles for a 1-way award and ~$450 in fuel surcharges, but it is worth it to some folks.
Well, Loyalty Lobby writes that starting January 1, 2014 Swiss Airlines will restrict First Class Mileage Awards to only their elite HON Circle and Senator members.
This change starts on January 1, 2014, so if you are not an elite member (and won’t become one!), you can use your Lufthansa miles to book First Class on Swiss Airlines before then.
3. National launches OneTwoFree Promotion
Via View from the Wing, National Car Rental is offering a free rental for every two times that you rent a car, between September 9, 2013 and January 31, 2014.
Similar to previous National promotions, you can earn a free rental for every two rentals (or 600 points). But National added a new twist with multiple ways to earn qualifying points:
- Mobile App Download – 25 Points
- Emerald Reserve Service – 25 Points
- Drive Alliance Site Visit – 25 Points
- Facebook Connect – 50 Points
- It’s Quick, Easy and Rewarding – 50 Points
- Earn Points, Connect with Facebook – 50 Points
- Saves Time When You Return – 50 Points
- Mobile App Rental – 75 Points
- Refer a Friend who rents a car – 300 Points
So, for each of these activities, you would earn 650 qualifying points – enough for a free rental!
Terms & Conditions
You have to register for the promotion before renting and you can register via this link.
According to the Terms and Conditions, a qualifying rental is a Midsize or larger car in the US for 2 consecutive days.
Also, after earning the required 600 points for a free rental, it may take 1 to 2 weeks for them to be awarded to a member’s account.
Each free rental can be used through June 2014 to rent a compact through a full-size car, and can be used for up to three days!
I actually used National Car Rental (and its overseas partner Alamo) exclusively for work in my previous job. It was very easy to get out of the airport rental lot quickly, which is what I was looking for when traveling.
And being able to choose your car from the lot, including sports cars and SUVs – as opposed to be preassigned a car – introduced an element of fun into a rather formulaic business travel routine!
I would try out a different car on every trip – just because I could. And I would pay only the midsize car rate despite which car I chose!
But, now that I pay for car rentals with cash, I prefer using the Ultimate Rewards Portal, Costco Travel or Hotwire for car rentals.
4. Virgin America Announces Double Points on Select Flights and Up to 25,000 Bonus Points
One Mile at a Time writes that Virgin America has a double bonus promotion. They are offering double points for travel in First Class and Main Cabin Select (Premium Economy), and up to 25,000 bonus points for flight activity, both through December 31, 2013.
The number of bonus points is based on the amount of qualifying points earned, meaning that it will depend on the how much you travel through December 31, 2013:
- Earn 2,500 Qualifying Points – Receive 1,000 Bonus Points (1,000 Total)
- Earn 5,000 Qualifying Points – Receive 2,500 Bonus Points (3,500 Total)
- Earn 10,000 Qualifying Points – Receive 5,000 Bonus Points (8,500 Total)
- Earn 15,000 Qualifying Points – Receive 10,000 Bonus Points (18,500 Total)
- Earn 20,000 Qualifying Points – Receive 15,000 Bonus Points (33,500 Total)
- Earn 25,000 Qualifying Points – Receive 25,000 Bonus Points (58,500 Total)
Also, all points earned will count toward Virgin American elite status – Elevate Silver or Elevate Gold Status!
Virgin America is a revenue-based loyalty program, and you generally earn 5 points per $1 spent on the base fares.
Since they are offering double points for First Class and Main Cabin Select fares, this means that you would earn a total of 10 points per $1 spent if you booked a flight in either of these cabins.
You have to register for the promotion BEFORE traveling. And, qualifying points earned are dependent on the base fare only.