Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
This change takes effect on October 1, 2015. So you have 1 week left to transfer your AMEX Membership Rewards points to British Airways at the more favorable rate.
Find out what you need to know about these changes.
What’s the Deal?
You can currently transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to British Airways at a 1:1 ratio. So 1,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points is worth 1,000 British Airways Avios Points. But this is changing.
Starting October 1, 2015, 1,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points will only get you 800 British Airways Avios points. You can transfer in 250 point increments.
Transferring to British Airways from AMEX Membership Rewards points is useful because while British Airways has high fuel surcharges on transatlantic flights, you’ll pay no or low surcharges on:
- Domestic award tickets on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines – Short-haul flights under 650 miles cost only 4,500 British Airways Avios points 1-way
- Flights on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines from the West Coast to Hawaii – 25,000 British Airways Avios points round-trip in coach
- Cheap award flights to Europe on Aer Lingus or Air Berlin – Fewer points than other airlines and lower fuel surcharges
You can earn American Express Membership Rewards points with:
|Personal Cards||Business Cards|
|The Business Platinum® Card from American Express||The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express|
|American Express® Gold Card||American Express® Business Gold Card|
|Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Business Green Rewards Card from American Express|
If you like to using your AMEX Membership Rewards points with British Airways, you should transfer your points soon!
However, sometimes American Express offers British Airways transfer bonuses, so some folks may want to hold out to see if they can pick up extra points. Just make sure you don’t forget to make the transfer by October 1, 2015.
There Are Lots of Other Ways to Earn British Airways Points!
Unless AMEX offers a transfer bonus, there are 3 other ways to earn British Airways Avios points that will be a better deal after October 1, 2015:
- Chase British Airways – Up to 100,000 British Airways Avios points for a limited-time
- Chase Ultimate Rewards points – Transfer to British Airways at a 1:1 ratio
- Starwood Preferred Guest points – Transfer to British Airways at a 1:1 ratio and you’ll earn a 5,000 point bonus when you transfer in increments of 20,000 points
You have 1 week left to transfer your American Express Membership Rewards points to British Airways Avios points at the more-favorable 1:1 ratio. After October 1, 2015, you’ll only get 800 British Airways points (or Iberia Avios points) for every 1,000 American Express Membership Rewards points.
You could wait until the last day to transfer your points in case American Express offers a transfer bonus. But some folks may want to go ahead and transfer their points now, so they don’t forget later!
After October 1, 2015, you’ll get a better deal when you transfer AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest or Chase Ultimate Rewards points to British Airways, unless there’s a transfer bonus offered by American Express.