Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
This quarter you can earn 5% cash back at gas stations, Amazon, Kohl’s and more with cards like the Chase Freedom, Discover it® Cash Back, and US Bank Cash+ cards. But time is running out to take advantage of these bonuses.
That’s because these deals end September 30, 2015, (Wednesday)!
How to Maximize This Quarter’s 5% Cash Back Bonuses!
Here’s a look at where you can earn the category bonuses this month and how to double and even triple dip for more savings before they expire on September 30, 2015.
1. Chase Freedom
With the Chase Freedom card you can currently earn 5X (5% back) Chase Ultimate Rewards points (on up to $1,500 in spending) at:
Gas stations often carry gift cards to other stores. So you can extend the 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points bonus to other stores and restaurants outside this category.
And of course it’s worth it to fill up your tank 1 last time while you can still earn bonus points!
You can double dip by combining the 5% cash back you’ll earn with the Chase Freedom with sale items at Kohl’s. And triple dip by earning miles, points, or more cash back by clicking through a shopping portal.
2. Citi Dividend
The Citi Dividend card is no longer open to new applications. However, folks who already have this card, can earn 5% cash back (up to $300 in cash back per calendar year) on:
Direct Airline Purchases
You can use this deal to save even more on the cheap fares I frequently post to places like Paris, Puerto Rico, and Iceland. These deals are now expired, but follow me on Facebook and Twitter to make sure you don’t miss out on the latest cheap fares!
Hilton Stays Booked Directly
In addition to earning 5% cash back at Hilton with your Citi Dividend card, you can earn 2X to 3X Hilton points on your stay. To get the bonus points, be sure to register for Hilton’s fall promotion BEFORE checkout.
3. Discover it Cash Back Card
With the Discover it Cash Back card the cash back you earn will be matched at the end of your 1st 12 billing cycles! This deal is good for new cardholders and folks who previously enrolled.
This quarter you’ll earn 5% cash back (on up to $1,500 in spending this quarter) in the following categories. And you’ll get another 5% cash back at the end of your 1st 12 billing cycles.
Home Improvement Stores
You can earn 5% cash back at many other places with this category. That’s because home improvement stores like Lowe’s carry gift cards to clothing stores, book stores, and restaurants.
This gives you HUGE savings! Here’s how it adds up:
- 5% cash back at department stores (on up to $1,500 in spending)
- Another 5% cash back at the end of your 1st year (double cash back)
- 10% cash back for using Apple Pay
- 10% cash back at the end of your 1st year (double cash back)
- Total savings = 30% cash back at Macy’s!
Whenever you can earn bonus points or cash back at Amazon that also means you can extend your savings to other stores. That’s because Amazon carries gift cards to restaurants, hotels, and other retailers.
4. US Bank Cash+
Link: US Bank Cash+ Card
Link: US Bank Cash+ Categories
You can choose 2 categories to earn 5% cash back (on up to $2,000) with your US Bank Cash+ card. And you’ll also earn 2% cash back in 1 category of your choice. But you must select your categories each quarter.
Here’s a look at the categories you can choose from with a few examples, but check the “Merchant Examples“ for more details:
- Bookstores – Barnes & Noble, Amazon Kindle Books, and some University Bookstores) Note: Some folks say they’ve received 5% back on many Amazon purchases besides books with this category.
- Car Rental – Avis, Budget, National Car Rental
- Cell Phone – AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- Charity – American Cancer Society, Kiva, The Salvation Army
- Department Stores – Bloomingdales, JCPenney, Nordstrom Rack
- Electronics Stores – Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, TigerDirect
- Fast Food – Chipotle, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and Cold Stone Creamery
- Furniture Stores – American Furniture, Ethan Allen, IKEA
- Gyms – 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, LA Fitness
- Movie Theaters – AMC Theatres, Fandango.com, Regal Cinemas
- Select Clothing Stores – Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy
- Sporting Good Stores – Big 5 Sporting Goods, REI, Sports Authority
You can save more by shopping online and clicking through a shopping portal.
You can make the most out of these savings by stacking with coupons, shopping portals, and other deals!
Let me know if you come up with other ways to save big with this quarter’s category bonuses!