Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
INSIDER SECRET: One of my favorite perks of this card can save you thousands of points on award tickets. I’ll show you how.
It’s no secret that I (and the rest of the MMS team) love collecting transferable rewards points. Earning travel rewards like Amex Membership Rewards points provides flexibility in booking airfare and hotels, which is the key to making the miles and points hobby work for you.
One of my favorite flexible points-earning cards is The Business Platinum® Card from American Express. It comes with a welcome offer easily worth over $1,000 in travel. Plus, you’ll have access to the card’s great benefits and perks.
In order to inspire you to consider this card (and to plan a trip of your own), I’ll explain how I used the introductory bonus from the Amex Business Platinum card.
Using the Bonus From the Amex Business Platinum Card
Right now, the AMEX Business Platinum card is offering up to a 75,000 Amex Membership Rewards point welcome bonus after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements. You’ll earn:
- 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
- 25,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same time frame
That’s easily worth $1,000+ in free travel, depending on how you use them. After accounting for the points you’ll earn for meeting the minimum spending requirements, you’ll walk away with at least 95,000 Amex Membership Rewards points (50,000 points + 25,000 points + 20,000 points from minimum spend). You can check out our American Express Business Platinum card review for more details.
After earning the welcome bonus, I used my Amex Membership Rewards points for flights to destinations including Denver, Santa Barbara and Lisbon. That’s right – I got a TON of use out of the Amex Business Platinum intro offer.
I was able to stretch my Amex Membership Rewards points even further because Amex Business Platinum card holders get:
- 35% of your points back for ALL first class or business class flights booked through the Amex travel portal using Pay With Points
- 35% of your points back for all flights, including coach tickets, booked with your selected airline through the Amex travel portal using Pay With Points (up to 500,000 points per calendar year)
And, I booked all of these award tickets with my selected airline, United Airlines.
For example, the round-trip coach ticket I booked between my hometown of Missoula, Montana, and Denver cost $280 or 28,000 Amex Membership Rewards points using Amex Pay With Points (you get 1 cent per point toward your ticket). With the 35% rebate from my Amex Business Platinum card, I only paid 18,200 Amex Membership Rewards points.
I also booked a round-trip coach ticket to visit my sister in Santa Barbara. United Airlines services this route, so I was able to take advantage of the 35% rebate. The cash price of the ticket was $340. Using Membership Rewards points and Amex Pay With Points the ticket cost 34,000 points. But again, with the rebate, I only paid 22,100 points!
I used the remainder of the welcome offer to buy my aunt a round-trip coach ticket to Europe so she could enjoy a family vacation with the rest of my loved ones. She flew from Raleigh/Durham to Lisbon, Portugal. At the time there were sale fares to Europe, so tickets were running around $680. Using Pay With Points and my Amex Business Platinum rebate I only had to use 44,200 Amex Membership Rewards points for her ticket.
In total, I used 84,500 Amex Membership Rewards points and saved $1,300 for these three round-trip tickets, and even had points to spare! And, I’ve continued to earn and use rewards with my Amex Business Platinum since earning the initial bonus.
To learn more about Amex Membership Rewards points be sure to check out these guides:
- Our American Express points review
- The best way to use Amex points
- Your full guide on how to use American Express points
- What can you expect for Amex points value?
- Find out about all the airline and hotel Amex transfer partners
- How to earn Amex points
- How to set up an American Express Membership Rewards account
- The best way to use Amex points
- Do American Express points expire?
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.