Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
With Alaska Airlines’ “Fly 2 Get 1 for the Tax” promotion, you’ll get a discount code valid for a 3rd round-trip ticket (you’ll only pay the tax) after you complete 2 round-trip flights to certain destinations by February 23, 2016.
I’ll explain the terms & conditions. Let’s see where you can go!
What’s the Deal?
Link: Alaska Airlines
Book and fly 2 round-trips from ANY Alaska Airlines city to certain ski destinations by February 23, 2016, and you’ll receive a discount code for another round-trip flight to 1 of the same cities to use between February 1, 2016, and April 30, 2016. You’ll just have to pay the taxes.
Here are the cities:
- Crested Butte / Gunnison
- Mammoth Lakes
- Reno / Lake Tahoe
- Salt Lake City
- Steamboat Springs
- Sun Valley
This could be a terrific deal for folks who planned to buy paid tickets on Alaska Airlines anyway. Or if you’re looking for an excuse to sneak in some extra weekend ski trips!
There are other important restrictions:
- The qualifying flights must be paid tickets, flown by you, and operated & marketed by Alaska Airlines. Award flights do NOT count!
- You must credit your paid flights to Alaska Airlines (NOT a partner airline)
- Only YOU can use the discount code once you complete the qualifying flights
- Discount flight must be ticketed by March 30, 2016, for travel between February 1, 2016, and April 30, 2016 to the same included cities. Seats may be limited and can only be booked under the “W” fare class (discounted coach). Flights from Hawaii and Prudhoe Bay are excluded.
Not Just for Ski Adventures
Even if you’re not into winter sports, some of these destinations have other terrific activities to offer!
You could escape to Reno for a fun weekend with your pals, and hit the casinos and shows.
Or visit scenic Vancouver for a foodie and shopping trip (they have terrific seafood!). Remember, you can save a lot of money at Vancouver hotels this winter with the American Express beVancouver promotion.
Plenty of the included destinations are good options for a romantic getaway, if you prefer snuggling by the fire to hitting the slopes!
Use the Right Credit Card
If you have the Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, you’ll earn 3 Alaska Airlines miles per $1 you spend on Alaska Airlines tickets. And you get a free checked bag for yourself and up to 6 passengers on the same reservation.
Here’s my review of the card.
What About Hotels?
Some of these ski destinations offer incredible, luxury resorts which you can book for free or cheap with points!
Here are a few options that stand out:
Hyatt Escala Lodge Park City
Paid rooms at this hotel in the winter can cost over $500 per night! This could be an excellent spot to use your 2 free Hyatt nights from the Chase Hyatt card.
Here are all the ways to earn Hyatt points.
Marriott Timber Lodge
Fairmont Banff Springs
Located ~80 miles east of Calgary, this resort is known for its incredible scenery, excellent nearby skiing, and spa.
Because of the distance from Calgary, you’ll want to rent a car (and here’s how you can save on your rental!). Or take a scheduled shuttle service between the resort and the airport.
These are just a few ideas to spark your imagination! You might also consider:
- Checking Hotel Hustle and Award Mapper to find hotels that can be booked with points
- Reading TripAdvisor reviews to find the best spots
- Using the Citi Prestige 4th night free perk to save money on a paid stay
- Booking an Airbnb (did you get the $50 off $100+ Airbnb AMEX Offer?)
- Using weekend night certificates from the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card
- Stretching your Starwood points by booking with cash & points or getting the 5th night free on award stays (other chains also offer free nights)
You can earn an almost-free round-trip ticket to certain ski destinations this winter when you book 2 paid round-trip flights with Alaska Airlines.
Registration is required before February 5, 2016. There are lots of restrictions so read the fine print!
This could be a terrific deal for folks already planning 2 or more winter getaways to the included cities. Or if you’re looking for a reason to take more trips!
Some of the destinations have lots of other activities if skiing isn’t your thing. And there are plenty of ways to get cheap or free hotel stays for even Bigger Travel!
Let me know which destinations interest you and if you’re planning trips!