Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Springtime is the best time to visit Japan. That’s because the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and the weather isn’t too hot. Also, there are usually fewer tourists and less demand means better availability to find flights using miles.
Booking flights to Japan with American Airlines miles is one of the best ways to get there. I used American Airlines miles to book 2 round-trip tickets in Business Class for my last trip to Japan, and team member Harlan also used American Airlines miles, just in time to see the cherry blossoms!
How to Earn American Airlines Miles
Here are a few of the top cards to get lots of American Airlines miles. Remember that one-way trips to Japan in coach can be found for as little as 32,500 miles, or you can fly one-way in luxury in Business Class for 60,000 miles for Saver awards!
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® – Perfect for small business owners! Read our review of the CitiBusiness Aadvantage Platinum Select
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card – This credit card has a LOW minimum spending requirement of only $500 in the first 3 months of account opening. Also, there’s no annual fee! Read our review of the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp card
How to Redeem American Airlines Miles for Flights
We know that redeeming miles for airlines can be confusing and frustrating at times, so we’ve created several guides & inspirational posts on how you can get the most with your miles.
- Say What?! ~$110 Business Class Flights to Japan (Yes, It’s True!) and How You Can Do It, Too!
- Business Class to Japan or LOTS of Short-Haul Flights Within the US: Here’s How I’d Use This 50,000 American Airlines Miles Bonus
- Ultimate Guide: How to Use American Airlines Miles
There’s no better feeling than getting that email confirmation with the cash price of the ticket!
Have you been to Japan to see the cherry blossoms? Share your experience with us in the comments below!