We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Fantastic news for folks who like collecting Citi ThankYou points!
Via The Points Guy, there are exciting changes coming to the Citi Prestige Card on July 23, 2017. Including a sign-up bonus that’s nearly double the current offer, improvements to the card’s 4th night free perk, and a new card design!
So if you’ve been thinking about applying for this top travel rewards card, I’d suggest waiting until then to apply.
I’ll share the details of the better offer and the changes coming to the Citi Prestige Card. And help you decide whether it’s worth applying for!
Citi Prestige 75,000 Point Bonus
The $450 annual fee can be offset by great perks like:
- 3 Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend at airlines, hotels, and travel agencies
- 2 Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend at restaurants and select entertainment (includes movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions)
- $250 statement credit for airline fees such as airfare and baggage fees
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry application fee
- Priority Pass Lounge access for primary cardholder and immediate family or up to 2 guests (additional guests $27 per person, per visit)
- 4th night free (based on average nightly cost of room excluding taxes after July 23, 2017) when you book 4 consecutive nights at almost any hotel (must be booked through Citi Prestige Concierge and paid in full with your card)
- Trip & baggage delay insurance
- No foreign transaction fees
What Else Is Changing?
Along with the limited-time increased sign-up bonus, positive changes to the card include:
- The 4th night free perk will be bookable online, and you’ll be refunded the cost of the 4th night at checkout
- You’ll be able to use Citi ThankYou points towards the 4th night free booking at a value of 1 cent per point
- You’ll be able to redeem the ThankYou points you earn with the Citi Prestige for cash at a value of 1 cent per point (100 points = $1)
- The new cards will be metal
I’m especially happy about the ability to book a 4th night free reservation online!
Keep in mind, as of July 23, 2017, Citi ThankYou points will only be worth 1.25 cents each for bookings made through the Citi Travel Center, no matter which airlines you fly. And the card will no longer offer free rounds of golf or Admirals Club access.
Is This a Good Deal?
LOTS of Million Mile Secrets team members (myself included!) have the Citi Prestige. And we keep it year after year because the benefits outweigh the high annual fee.
That said, the $7,500 minimum spending requirement is high, so make sure you have a plan to meet it.
And don’t forget, when you are approved for the card, you will receive the $250 airline statement credit this year, and again in January. So you’ll get $500 in statement credits before you pay your 2nd annual fee!
If you’ve already had a Citi ThankYou points card opened or closed in the last 24 months and aren’t eligible to apply for the Citi Prestige right now, there are other cards with great sign-up bonuses out there.
You could consider the Chase Ink Business Preferred, which comes with a sign-up bonus worth at least $1,000 in travel booked through the Chase Travel Portal. Or potentially more when you transfer the Chase Ultimate Rewards points you earn to Chase’s great travel partners, like United Airlines and Hyatt.
On July 23, 2017, the sign-up bonus on the Citi Prestige Card will nearly double, and other exciting benefits will be added to the card!
You’ll earn 75,000 Citi ThankYou points after spending $7,500 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. And the card’s great perks can more than make-up for the high $450 annual fee.
This is the highest sign-up bonus we’ve ever seen on this card. So if you haven’t opened or closed another Citi ThankYou points earning card within the past 24 months, now is a great time to apply!
What do you think about the upcoming changes to the Citi Prestige card? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!