Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
INSIDER SECRET: The $95 annual fee on this card is waived the first year. So you can try it for 11 months to see if you like it, without paying a single cent in annual fee.
The increased offer on the United Explorer Card — earn up to 60,000 United Airlines miles after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements — ends in two days, on May 16, 2019.
Since United Airlines is eliminating their award chart for travel after November 15, 2019, it’s a wise move to earn United Airlines miles to book award tickets now, before the changes take effect. It’s still possible to find many flights at the current mileage prices.
After you earn the bonus, you should have enough miles for two round-trip coach flights within the continental US or a free round-trip coach flight to Europe.
Chase United Airlines Explorer Increased Offer
Apply Here: United Explorer Card
Read our review of the Chase United Explorer
Through May 16, 2019, you can earn the following bonus with the Chase United Explorer card:
- 40,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening
- Additional 20,000 bonus miles after spending a total of $8,000 on purchases within the first six months from account opening
Spending $8,000 in six months can sound daunting to many folks but it comes out to only ~$1,333 in purchases a month. It’s certainly not worth spending extra money just to earn bonus points, but you can likely meet the spending requirements on your credit card with purchases you’d make anyway. Check out our guide to meeting credit card minimum spending requirements to learn more.
The card also comes with:
- 2 United Airlines miles per $1 you spend on purchases from United Airlines and at restaurants and hotels, when you book directly
- 1 United Airlines mile per $1 you spend on everything else
- Free first checked bag for the card holder and one companion – but you must use your card to pay for your ticket
- 2 United Club lounge passes per card-membership year
- Access to an increased number of award seats
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit (up to $100)
The card’s $95 annual fee is waived the first year.
Note: Chase will NOT approve you for this card if you’ve opened five or more cards from any bank (not counting Chase business cards and certain other business cards) in the past 24 months.
I’ve had the Chase United Explorer card for years because it gives me access to more award seats. You can learn more about the specifics of the card’s benefits by reading our Chase United Explorer review.
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.