We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Want more American Airlines miles for a trip you’re planning?
Via Frequent Flyer Bonuses, American Airlines is giving bonus miles to folks who buy at least 10,000 American Airlines miles through January 3, 2017. Up to 120,000 bonus miles! The more miles you buy, the higher the bonus.
This deal could be good for y’all who need extra miles for a great redemption. Or if you want to fly Business Class or First Class at a big discount! I’ll explain.
I’ll give you the details of this deal, so you can decide if this American Airlines promotion is right for you.
Buy American Airlines Miles and Earn Up to 120,000 Bonus Miles
You can earn up to 120,000 bonus American Airlines miles when you buy or gift American Airlines miles through January 3, 2017.
To qualify for the bonus miles, you’ll need to purchase a minimum of 10,000 American Airlines miles. And the more miles you buy, the bigger the bonus.
You can use these miles for award seats on American Airlines or any of their partners, like Air Berlin and Cathay Pacific!
Here’s how many bonus miles you can earn:
- Buy 10,000 to 24,000 American Airlines miles – Get 3,000 bonus American Airlines miles
- Buy 25,000 to 49,000 American Airlines miles – Get 9,000 bonus American Airlines miles
- Buy 50,000 to 74,000 American Airlines miles – Get 27,000 bonus American Airlines miles
- Buy 75,000 to 99,000 American Airlines miles – Get 48,000 bonus American Airlines miles
- Buy 100,000 to 149,000 American Airlines miles – Get 72,000 bonus American Airlines miles
- Buy 150,000 American Airlines miles – Get 120,000 bonus American Airlines miles
So if you buy 10,000 American Airlines miles to get the minimum 3,000 mile bonus, you’ll pay ~$347, or ~2.67 cents per mile (~$347 / 13,000 miles = ~2.67 cents per mile).
And if you buy 150,000 miles to earn the maximum 120,000 mile bonus, you’ll pay ~1.77 cents per mile (~$4,787 / 270,000 miles = ~1.77 cents per mile).
Buy American Airlines Miles to Fly Business or First Class for a Discount
Maximizing this promotion by spending $4,787 is not for everybody. That is a lot of money, after all. But it could be worth it for folks who want to fly internationally in Business Class or First Class.
That’s because it costs 57,500 American Airlines miles for a one-way Business Class ticket from the US to Europe. Or 60,000 American Airlines miles for a one-way Business Class ticket to Japan. For ~$4,787, you would have more than enough American Airlines miles for 2 round-trip Business Class tickets to Europe or Asia. That’s a steal!
- 2 round-trip Business Class tickets from Portland, Oregon, to Athens, Greece can cost ~$8,500 total, or 230,000 American Airlines miles. If you buy 270,000 miles, you’ll have saved $3,700+ and still have enough miles left for a one-way coach ticket to Asia!
- 1 Round-trip First Class ticket from Miami to Toyko can cost ~$7,700, or 160,000 American Airlines miles. You’ll have saved $2,900+ and still have nearly enough miles left for a round-trip Business Class ticket to Europe (worth thousands more)!
Note: If you are only interested in flying in coach, you can still save money, but you probably won’t save nearly as much.
For example, 270,000 miles are enough for a little more than 10 round-trip domestic flights (12,500 miles one-way). You’ll need to find 10 round-trips that cost $450+ just to break even ($450 X 10 round-trips = $4,500)!
Consider saving your money and spending it on airfare instead of American Airlines miles. That way you don’t have to search for available award seats, and you’ll earn miles on your flights!
Through Janaury 3, 2017, you’ll earn bonus miles on miles purchases with this bonus promotion from American Airlines! You can earn between 3,000 and 120,000 bonus miles, depending on how many miles you buy.
This is a good deal for folks who want to fly internationally in Business Class or First Class at a discount. But it’s not very good for folks who want to fly in coach. Unless you need to top off your account for an upcoming redemption.
Is this bonus miles promotion from American Airlines worth it for your travel goals?