Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Visit historic Budapest, the capital of Hungary, this spring for under $600 from 5 cities!
I found cheap round-trip coach tickets on British Airways, Norwegian Air, United Airlines (and its partners) on sale through April or May from Boston, Chicago, New York City, Toronto, and Washington, DC.
What’s the Deal?
British Airways, Norwegian, United Airlines (and its partners) all have fares to Budapest on sale. Once you get there, remember you can keep exploring Europe with other low fares on budget airlines!
1. From Chicago for ~$586
You can fly to Budapest round-trip in coach from Chicago starting at ~$586 on United Airlines and its Star Alliance partners (including Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa, and SWISS).
For each ticket, you’ll connect in the airline’s European hub (like in Munich for Lufthansa or Zurich for SWISS), before continuing to Budapest.
Tickets are available now through the end of April. Prices range from ~$586 to ~$597. No matter which airline you choose, you can find a flight for under $600.
Remember, you can credit partner airline flights to United Airlines. Here’s how to figure out which airline will earn you the maximum amount of miles!
2. From New York for ~$509 or ~$580
Norwegian Air has fares to Budapest from New York City for ~$509 round-trip in coach.
Plug-in your dates into the Norwegian Air Low Fare Calendar to see if you can get a good deal! Although, be aware some of flights have long overnight connections. And Norwegian Air charges lots of fees, including for checked baggage.
But remember, there’s a trick to save 20% on Norwegian fares. So you can save even more!
You can also fly on United Airlines and its partners (with a shorter connection time) starting at ~$580 round-trip in coach. I found dates through early May.
This is an excellent price to fly to Europe before the busy summer season and still enjoy relatively warm weather!
3. From Boston for ~$586
Folks in Boston can fly to Budapest on United Airlines and its partners for ~$586 round-trip in coach.
I found flights in April on SWISS with a connection in Zurich, for ~$586.
Seats are available at this price nearly every day through May, so you have lots of dates, flights, and airlines to choose from!
4. From Washington, DC for ~$586
This fare is also available from Washington, DC, starting at ~$586 round-trip. You can pay ~$1 or ~$2 more for flights on a United Airlines partner, like Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, or SWISS.
Again, you have your pick of dates with departures available through the end of April.
You’ll have to connect in the hub city of whichever airline you choose. For example, you’ll connect in Brussels if you select Brussels Airlines, before heading to Budapest.
5. From Toronto for ~$533
Folks in Toronto have even more options to visit Budapest! British Airways has tickets starting at ~$533 round-trip in coach, with a connection in London.
Dates in April and May are still available to book!
If you prefer United Airlines and its partners, you can choose their flights for ~$30 more. Seats under $600 are available mid-February through early May.
Don’t Live Near 1 of These Cities? Get There for Cheap!
You can use your miles to get to a departure city for nearly free!
- Southwest – If you need more Southwest points, Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to Southwest. Plus, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend can fly with you for (almost) free!
- British Airways – If you’re a short flight away from 1 of these cities, you can save miles by using British Airways Avios points to book an award flight on American Airlines. Chase Ultimate Rewards points , American Express Membership Rewards points, and Starwood Preferred Guest points transfer to British Airways.
- Iberia – If you’re planning to travel round-trip, you can save ~4,000 British Airways Avios points by transferring your points to Iberia.
Earn Bonus Points!
Remember to pay with a card that will earn you bonus points for your ticket:
- Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points when booking directly with airlines
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points for booking directly with airlines when you choose this as your 3X category (otherwise 2X points)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel
- Citi Prestige – 3X Citi ThankYou points on airfare
- Citi ThankYou Premier Card – 3X Citi ThankYou points on travel
Get Free Hotel Nights With These Cards
If you book a cheap flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending!
Remember, you can transfer flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards to different hotel programs.
Note: Folks who want to book paid stays could check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized).
Airbnb is another terrific way to save money on lodging, especially for longer stays. Or for folks to prefer a more local feel. Here are some tips on how to negotiate a better Airbnb price. And how to find a safe and comfortable Airbnb.
Fly round-trip from 5 cities for under ~$600 to Budapest now through April (and even into May in some cases). The flights have connections in European hub cities before you continue to Budapest.
If you’ve been wanting to visit, this is a fantastic opportunity to try the local wines, see the sights, and take the tram along the Danube River. Budapest is also a great jumping-off point to see more of Europe with budget airlines!
Let me know if you buy a ticket!