We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
You can fly between lots of destinations in the US and beyond starting at just $32 one-way in coach (though most fares are higher). For example, I found a one-way flight on JetBlue from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale for $49 on December 12, 2017.
Here are the details of these sales. And how to search for deals from your city!
1. JetBlue Fare Sale
The JetBlue sale is for today and tomorrow only! So you’ll have to book soon if you want the best deals.
Here are the details:
- You must book by November 29, 2017 (the earlier of 11:59 pm Eastern Time or local time)
- Your travel must be between December 5, 2017, and December 14, 2017, or January 11, 2018, and February 14, 2018
Some routes might have different or additional day of week restrictions and blackout dates. You’ll have to click on the fare you want to see the full restrictions.
Remember, the cost of a JetBlue award flight is tied to the cash price of the ticket. So when there’s a fare sale, you’ll pay fewer points, too! And JetBlue points are usually worth ~1.4 cents each (though you’ll have to pay taxes & fees for an award flight).
Folks with the JetBlue Plus Card from Barclaycard or JetBlue Business Card from Barclaycard get a free first checked bag for the cardholder and up to 3 companions on the same reservation when you use your card to pay for your ticket.
Keep in mind you have 24 hours to cancel a reservation if the flight is at least 7 days away. So, you can take advantage of these extremely cheap fares and finalize plans later.
2. Southwest Fare Sale
Southwest’s latest fare sale ends in 3 days, on November 30, 2017, at 11:59 pm in the time zone of the origin city. But the best fares go quickly, so you’ll want to book as soon as possible!
Here are the details:
- You must purchase your travel at least 21 days in advance
- Continental US travel is valid from December 19, 2017, through May 23, 2018
- Valid travel dates may vary for cities outside the contiguous US
- Domestic travel is blacked out on December 22 and 23, December 26 to 27, and December 30, 2017
- Domestic travel is valid NOT valid on Fridays and Sundays
There are additional restrictions, so take a look at the Terms & Conditions. And make sure to read this post on 8 important things about flying Southwest. And 5 tips on how to tell a Southwest sale is worthwhile!
Similar to JetBlue, the number of Southwest points you pay is tied to the price of the ticket. So when Southwest has a sale, you’ll pay fewer points for an award seat. You can usually get a value of ~1.25 to ~1.43 cents per Southwest point.
Note: If you’ve already booked a Southwest flight, but see a lower price with this sale, you can cancel your booking for free and re-book with the sale price!
In addition to the savings, there are lots of other benefits to flying Southwest including:
- Cancel Without Penalty – You can always book now and cancel later. On award flights the points and taxes will be refunded. And if you book a paid flight, as long as you cancel within 10 minutes before your flight, you’ll get a credit towards another Southwest flight (good for 1 year)
- Change Without Fees – If your plans change, you can make adjustments to your flight for free. However, if your new flight costs more, you’ll have to pay the difference.
- 2 Checked Bags for Free – Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags. This saves you ~$25 per bag.
- Bring Someone Along for the Ride for Free – With the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member flies with you for free for up to 2 years! You can earn the Companion Pass in 8 easy steps!
JetBlue and Southwest just release their fall sale fares. But the JetBlue sale is only good through tomorrow, November 29, 2017. And the Southwest sale ends November 30, 2017. So book now before all the good deals are gone!
With these discounted fares, you can fly to spots within the US, like Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco, and more, for as low as $32 one-way. And to tropical destinations like Barbados, Havana, and Turks and Caicos for less, too!
Let me know if you book a cheap flight!