Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express cardholders will no longer get bonus points for spending $30,000 in a calendar year. This change takes effect in 2015.
So you WILL get the American Express Membership Rewards bonus points this year, but you’ll no longer have the same incentive next year.
So is this card worth keeping or should you look for an alternative?
Reasons to Keep (or Get) the Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express
You still get:
- Sign-up bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $2,000 within 3 months
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines
- 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets
- $100 airline incidental fee credit each year with an airline you choose
- You can transfer points to participating frequent traveler programs
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms Apply
The $195 annual fee is waived for the 1st year.
But is the Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express worth keeping when the $195 is due?
Reasons to Close the Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express
There are other AMEX Membership Rewards credit cards with similar benefits but with a lower annual fee. For instance:
The AMEX EveryDay Preferred Credit Card earns
- 3X American Express Membership Rewards points at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases
- 2X points at US gas stations
- 1X points on other purchases
- The annual fee is $95
- Terms & conditions apply
And the AMEX EveryDay Credit Card earns
- 2X American Express Membership Rewards points at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases
- 1X points on other purchases
- No annual fee
- As always, terms & conditions apply.
That’s because those 2 cards earn American Express Membership Rewards points. So you can keep the points you’ve earned with the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold.
And with the AMEX EveryDay Preferred, when you use your card 30+ times on purchases in a billing period you’ll get 50% more points on those purchases (less returns & credits).
I really like earning at least 1.5X American Express Membership Rewards points on all my purchases! (That’s because you get 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases + 50% bonus points as explained above.)
And 4.5X American Express Membership Rewards points at US supermarkets is a terrific deal! (You get 3 American Express Membership Rewards points per $1 spent + 50% bonus when using your card 30+ times in a billing period.)
The no annual fee AMEX EveryDay has a similar deal. When you use your card 20+ times, you get 20% more points on those purchases.
You’ll no longer get bonus American Express Membership Rewards points for spending $30,000 with your Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express in a calendar year, beginning in 2015.
Will this change to the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express influence your decision whether to keep it?