The Business Platinum Card From American Express OPEN Bonus Increased to 40,000 Points!
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
The bonus on The Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN has increased to 40,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 within 3 months.
The previous bonus was only 25,000 points after spending $5,000 within 3 months.
American Express also recently increased the sign-up bonus for Personal version of the Platinum card to 40,000 points after spending $3,000 within 3 months.
One advantage of The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN over the regular Platinum is that you get 30% of your points back when you use the “Pay With Points” feature to book airfare on your selected airline through American Express.
However, adding an additional card holder to The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN costs $300 per card! In comparison, it costs only $175 to add up to 3 additional card holders to personal platinum cards.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN’s other benefits include:
- Get up to $200 in airline credits per calendar year on select airlines (you have to enroll and select a qualifying airline each year)
- Access to airport lounges (Delta, Priority Pass, Airspace, and American Express Centurion Lounges)
- NO foreign transaction fees
- TSA PreCheck OR Global Entry statement credit
- Terms and limitations apply
The $450 annual fee is NOT waived. But the $200 credit makes the annual fee effectively $250.
Here is the official description of the card:
Link: The Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN
- Welcome Offer: Get 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card’s premium benefits include world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.
- Membership Rewards® Program: Get one point for each dollar of eligible purchases. There is no limit to the number of points you can get.
- 30% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 30% of the points back.
- Airport Lounge Access Program: Elevate your business travel experience with complimentary access to over 700 airport lounges worldwide.
- Complimentary internet access: Enroll your Card with Gogo and Boingo and get 10 Gogo inflight internet passes annually and unlimited Wi-Fi at Boingo hotspots.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply
How Can I Use American Express Points?
For example, you can use 40,000 points to get $400 in gift cards. You can also transfer American Express points to select airline and hotel partners.
Note: Only “premium” American Express cards like The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN allow you to transfer points. I’ve written about which AMEX cards allow you to transfer your Membership Rewards points to airlines and hotels.
It’s nice to see the sign-up bonus on The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN increase to 40,000 points when you spend $5,000 within 3 months. But I would prefer to see an increase to 50,000 points to match the Chase Ink Plus and (no longer offered) Chase Ink Bold.
You can transfer American Express points to select airline and hotel partners or get $400 in gift cards.
That said, you could get more Membership Rewards points with the personal The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz, which has a 50,000 point sign-up bonus when you spend $3,000 within 3 months.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)