We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
American Airlines has a new holiday promotion out! With the Be A Holiday Hero promotion, you can earn up to 50,000 American Airlines miles and give your vacation plans a kickstart! I used 50,000 American Airlines miles for 2 Business Class Tickets (worth ~$1,400).
To earn the full bonus, you’ll need to do a lot of spending with American Airlines’ partners. If you’re going to be making the purchases anyway, then this deal is gravy. But you’ll typically be better off earning American Airlines miles by opening a credit card, like the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® or Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®.
American Airlines Be a Holiday Hero Promotion
The Be A Holiday Hero promotion rewards you for spending money with American Airlines’ partners. While spending with partners is an easy way to earn miles, it isn’t something I would recommend going out of your way to do.
With the American Airlines Be a Holiday Hero promotion, you can earn up to 50,000 American Airlines miles through the following tiers:
- Multi-tasker – Earn 2,000 bonus miles after earning 10,000 miles with partners and downloading the American Airlines app
- Go-getter – Earn 5,000 bonus miles after earning 25,000 miles with partners and donating to one of the non-profits selected by American Airlines
- Boss – Earn 10,000 bonus miles after earning 50,000 miles with partners and purchasing & flying in a coach or premium seat (excluding Basic Economy)
- Hero – Earn 33,000 bonus miles after earning 100,000 miles with partners and purchasing & flying in a premium seat
So what will it take to get to earn these bonuses? Here are some of the ways you can earn miles that count toward this promotion:
- Purchase American Airlines miles, but only base miles purchased (not bonus miles) count (I also never suggest purchasing miles)
- Make a purchase through one of their participating partners: Simplisafe, Sprint, Vinesse, BankDirect, LifeLock, Teleflora, and Hyatt
- Book a rental car or hotel stay through American Airlines
- Earn miles through the American Airlines shopping or dining portals
I’m not a fan of these promotions because they reward spending on things people typically don’t do. And you’d have to spend a LOT to earn the maximum bonus.
See related: Interested in American Airlines Admirals Club lounge access? Then check out the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®, which comes with a membership.
However, I do think getting to the Go-getter rank could be done with semi-normal spending. And know that if you are aiming for the higher bonuses, you’ll need to fly during the promotion period on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight and be registered before you fly.
This promotion goes until December 31, 2018, at 11:59 pm Central Time. If you would like to register for the promotion, click here.