Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
To be sure you’re getting all the airfare sales, hotel deals, and miles & points news we publish, subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out!
If you have an eligible American Airlines credit card, like the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® or Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® (both have limited-time increased sign-up bonuses) you can book reduced mileage awards. You’ll get a discount of up to 7,500 American Airlines miles on round-trip flights over 500 miles each way and up to a 2,000-mile discount on round-trip flights of 500 miles or less each way.
Also if you have the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® or Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard you’ll get a 10% mileage rebate on redemptions (up to 10,000 miles back per year). When you include the rebate, you could book short-haul flights for only 11,700 miles out of pocket. That’s less than 6,000-miles one way!
But this perk is going away on May 1, 2019. Even though you won’t be able to earn an American Airlines sign-up bonus in time to use the 10% rebate, it could be worth applying for one of those cards if you’ve got American Airlines miles you’re planning on using before May 1, 2019. My wife applied for the Barclays American Airlines personal card for this very reason.
Here’s how you can find out if you’re eligible, how many miles you can save, and how you can book the flight!
What Are American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards and Who Is Eligible?
Mileage discounts are available for coach, Business Class, and First Class American Airlines flights. But you’ll need to have a certain American Airlines credit card to be eligible for them. And the mileage discount you get will also depend on how far you’ll be flying.
The discount varies depending on which card you have and the flight distance. American Airlines normally charges 12,500 miles for a one-way saver award flight that is 500+ miles and they charge 7,500 miles for a one-way saver award flight that is 500 miles or less.
Here are some examples of cards that will give you a 7,500-mile discount round-trip if your flight is 500+ miles per one-way nonstop segment. If you book a round-trip flight of 500 miles or less per one-way nonstop segment, you’ll receive only a 2,000-mile discount:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Business Mastercard
- Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard
- Other cards are eligible for this discount but are no longer available for new applicants
If you don’t have any of the cards above, you can still receive a 5,000 mile discount with one of the cards below (but if your round-trip flight is 500 miles or less per one-way nonstop segment, you’ll receive only a 1,000-mile discount). Keep in mind that these cards don’t appear to be available to new applicants:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold American Express®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Visa®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue MasterCard®
The discounts are also valid for one-way flights. You’ll just get half the mileage discount.
Which Cities Are Eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards?
Not all cities are available for reduced mileage awards. But lots are!
You can book the discounted awards as long as:
- You fly to any eligible airport on the list below
- Your originating airport is discounted on the list below
Basically, as long as either your origin or destination airports are on the list for the month you want to travel, you’ll get the discount. As long as there are available saver award seats, that is!
And while the American Airlines website doesn’t clearly state the discount is available to or from a city on the list, many Million Mile Secrets team members have been able to book discounted awards this way.
This is the current list of cities:
Stretch Your Miles With a 10% Mileage Rebate
Note: This benefit is being removed from these cards beginning on May 1, 2019. Although some Barclays American Airlines cardholders are reporting getting emails that their 10% mileage rebate will be removed from their card on a different date, depending on when they got the card.
If you have one of the 2 cards below, you’ll get 10% of your miles back after you redeem them:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard
- Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard
So if you redeem 13,000 American Airlines miles, you’ll earn a 1,300-mile rebate.
Here are a few things to keep in mind about this rebate:
- It only applies to the primary cardholder (authorized users can’t get their own rebate)
- You can earn a maximum of 10,000 rebate miles per calendar year, regardless of how many eligible credit cards you have
- You do NOT need to use the eligible credit card to pay for any taxes or fees on the award flight
- The 10% mileage rebate applies to all American Airlines redemptions, including flights on partner airlines
How to Book American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards
So you have an eligible credit card and you’ve verified your flight destination is available for reduced mileage awards. Now we get to the more exciting part of actually booking the flight!
Once you’ve found available saver award seats on the American Airlines website, you’ll have to call American Airlines reservations at 800-882-8880. You can’t book reduced mileage award tickets online, so be sure to ask for any applicable phone booking fees to be waived.
You’ll then have to provide the agent with the correct discount code for your flight:
Flights Over 500 Miles
For flights within the US and more than 500 miles, the discount award codes are:
- 7,500 mile discount: UD21X2D / AVM05
- 5,000 mile discount: UD22X5D / AVM03
- 7,500 mile discount: UD28X7D / AVA67
- 5,000 mile discount: UD30D / AVA61
- 7,500 mile discount: TD8X7D / AVM04
- 5,000 mile discount: TD10D / AVM02
Flights 500 Miles or Less
For flights within the US 500 miles or less, the discount award codes are:
- 2,000 mile discount: UD14D / AVA72
- 1,000 mile discount: UD14X5D / AVA66
- 2,000 mile discount: TD6X5D / AVA71
- 1,000 mile discount: TD7D / AVA65
Note: If you are booking travel within 21 days of departure, you will have to pay a $75 fee. The fee is waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, and Gold members, who are using miles from their account for award flights.
Check back every month to see an updated list of discounted cities! And to get more deals delivered to you daily, subscribe to our newsletter.