We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Update – 9:35 am, August 12, 2011: This seems to be applicable only for cards issued in July onwards, though there are stray reports of folks getting the promo code applied for earlier cards.
The additional 50,000 MR points for adding an authorized user is now dead.
I don’t recommend applying for the American Express gold cards in the hope of applying these promo codes. That’s because the deal could be dead by the time you get the card, but only you can evaluate the potential risk of not getting the bonus for yourself.
Via Mommy Points, you could get up to 50,000 American Express Membership Rewards Points for making 15 transactions on your American Express Gold cards (not confirmed if it works on Platinum cards).
This is quite crazy, because when combined with the 50,000 MR points from adding authorized users to your card, you could end up with 100,000 MR points from the promos alone!
Update: The additional 50,000 MR points for adding authorized users to your card is now dead.
This may be targeted, so the quicker you call the better.
However, I don’t recommend applying for the AMEX Gold card just to get this bonus, since the bonus may not be available when you get the card.
As always, there is a growing FlyerTalk thread on the nitty-gritty, but here’s my takeaway:
1. Call 1-800-297-3276 and ask to apply promo code 6664 to your account. You may have to hang-up and call back again if the customer service representative (CSR) does not apply the promo code to you account.
2. Valid from July through November 2011. There is speculation that the promo could be only until October which would limit you to earning 40,000 MR points.
3. Earn 10,000 MR points for making 15 transactions (no minimum amount) per month.
4. Earning is retroactive, so if you made 15 transactions in July you could get the 10,000 MR points.
5. A maximum of 50,000 MR points can be earned through this promotion.
Good luck and let’s share our experiences in the comments.
(Hat Tip to Mommy Points)