Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
I’m incredibly, incredibly fortunate.
Not a day goes by, when I realize how lucky I am, and as I get older I find myself asking more often, “why me?” I’m lucky to have a great partner (that’s you, Emily!), a great hobby, great parents, great readers, and a lot of other great things.
Here are the top 5 things I’m grateful for in 2011:
1. Emily said yes. She’s the most hard working, kindest, sweetest, prettiest, gentlest, and smartest girl I’ve met. Miles and points let me ask her to be mine in a very special way.
2. Blog readers. Seriously, I’ve got the best blog readers. I love the community which we’ve built at Million Mile Secrets where we help each other out and share tips and tricks. Emily and I would love to meet each one of you to personally thank you for reading and supporting the blog. You guys are terrific, and I will always put your interests ahead of mine!
3. Our hobby. There is absolutely no way that a couple with enough student loans to buy a small house should be traveling as much as we do! From having the Iguaçu Falls to ourselves, to traveling in a private suite on Jet Airways to Emily’s surprise getaway in Miami to lots of other trips to visit family and friends which miles and points have made possible.
We’ve earned over 1 million miles and points this year and traveled to places we never thought possible. When I look at the map in my study, I’m lucky enough to be able to go anywhere I want. I just don’t have the time off to do it! Yes, it really is possible to travel for close to free, and I love replying to emails from readers who are just starting off in the hobby.
4. My parents. As I grow older, I realize how much my parents sacrificed for me. And what an ungrateful little brat I was (am?) at times. Thank you dad and mom!
5. A job. Times may be tough, but I’ll never starve, always have a warm place to stay and never have to worry about not being able to provide for my family.
Here’s hoping that you are taking it easy this week and spending lots of quality time with friends and family. The miles and points deals will still be there when you return so take some time off and enjoy the time with others. We sometimes get too worked up when things don’t go our way, but we forget the times when they did work out.
Let’s spend today being thankful for all the times when it did work out!
And thanks for reading the blog over the last 6 months.
Daraius & Emily