We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Southwest has a 3 day fare sale with flights ranging from $49 to $139 for a 1-way flight.
You have to purchase your ticket between June 12 through June 14, 2012, 11:59 pm Pacific Time for travel between August 13 through November 14, 2012.
Southwest has a revenue based frequent flyer program, so a fare sale means that both cash AND award bookings using points will cost less!
- $49 or 2,280 points for flights up to 500 miles
- $99 or 5,280 points for flights 501 miles to 1,300 miles
- $139 or 7,680 points for flights more than 1,301 miles
It doesn’t hurt to book your trip using points even if you’re not sure of your plans, because you get the points back in your account without paying a change fee if you cancel the reservation.
If you cancel a paid flight on Southwest, the ticketed passenger gets a credit which can be used for up to 1 year after the booking was made, with no change fee.
If you’ve already booked trips between August 13 and November 14, 2012, it doesn’t hurt to check to see if they are available for less because you can always cancel and rebook your flights for no change fee.
Unfortunately, there are some restrictions.
1. Friday and Sunday travel is not allowed, so this makes it harder to take a quick weekend trip. I was looking forward to using our Southwest Companion Pass for quick weekend getaways, but the Friday and Sunday restrictions get in the way.
2. Certain city pairs are excluded. See this page for a complete list of eligible cities.
3. There are blackout days on August 18, August 30, September 3, and September 4, 2012.
4. The cheapest fares are for non-stop travel. Flights with connections will cost more.
If you’re running low on Southwest points, Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer instantly to Southwest Airlines in 1:1 ratio.
Bottom Line: It doesn’t hurt to take advantage of Southwest’s 3 days sale because you can always cancel your ticket without paying a change fee.
And don’t forget to see if you can cancel and rebook an existing flight to save money.