We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Emily Jablon: Daraius and I went to Europe in September to celebrate our 2nd anniversary for ~2 weeks. It was my first time in Italy so I was very excited! In Italy, we visited Varenna on Lake Como, Milan, Venice, and Rome.
Since we were in Europe, we visited a friend in Strasbourg, France and also spent a night in Zurich. We started our trip with a one day layover in Chicago to see friends!
Our Anniversary To Italy – Trip Report Index:
- Part 1 – Introduction and Planning
- Part 2 – Park Hyatt, Chicago
- Part 3 – One Day in Chicago
- Part 4 – Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
- Part 5 – Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge, London
- Part 6 – Under the Channel to Strasbourg
- Part 7 – Hotel Cathedrale, Strasbourg
- Part 8 – What did we do in Strasbourg
- Part 9 – Eating in Strasbourg
- Part 10 – Park Hyatt, Zurich
- Part 11 – 10 Hours in Zurich
- Part 12 – Hotel Eremo Gaudio in Varenna, Italy
- Part 13 – What to do in Varenna, Italy
- Part 14 – Eating in Varenna, Italy
- Part 15 – Park Hyatt, Milan
- Part 16 – What Did We Do in Milan
- Part 17 – Eating in Milan
- Part 18 – Hilton Molino Stucky, Venice
- Part 19 – Around the Hilton Molino Stucky & Free Shuttle Boat Details
- Part 20 – What we did in Venice
- Part 21 – Eating in Venice
- Part 22 – Waldorf-Astoria, Rome Cavalieri
- Part 23 – Eating in Rome, Part 1
- Part 24 – Emily’s Best Meal Was in Italy!
- Part 25 – Rome Cavalieri Imperial Floor
- Part 26 – Activities in Rome
- Part 27 – Activities in Rome – Where to Go, What to See, How to Save Time
- Part 28 – Virgin Atlantic Flight from Europe to US
- Part 29 – Conclusion & Blog Giveaway
A Day In Chicago
There was even a Bentley and Ferrari shop, and Daraius wanted to go in.
I liked the luxurious Bentleys and Rolls Royces while Daraius preferred the sleek and sporty Lamborghinis and Ferraris.
At ~$500,000 each, we were dreaming! Daraius pointed out that the “Dealer Options” on the Rolls-Royce cost more than a regular car!
A ~5 minute walk from the hotel is American Girl Place, which is every little (and big) girl’s dream.
Dining In Chicago
We stopped at the Hershey’s store, where you can get a pick-me-up.
And we also passed a Ghiradelli store.
There were many cafes and restaurants within a few minutes walk from the Park Hyatt, Chicago including Potbelly…
…and Giordano’s for Chicago-styled pizza.
We had a mushroom and Italian sausage pizza, wine, tiramisu, and a digestive for dinner. Her boyfriend Steve came to meet us during dinner, and we had fun chatting about living in the city, travels, etc.
Daraius had some work to do so he went to Water Tower Place, which was across the street from the hotel…
…and went to Wow Bao for steamed pork buns.
He thought they were delicious! And a good deal at $9.49 for 6 pieces.
There was also a Walgreen’s right across the street, which also sold Chicago souvenirs. Too bad it wasn’t a CVS though!
We also visited the Bean.
And posed for pictures at the Bean.
We walked along the Chase Promenade…
…and saw the Jay Pritzer Pavillion.
The tours are excellent and we would highly recommend going! Daraius and I have been a few times, and went with his family when they came to visit last year.
Wendella boat tours are very good and cost ~$29 per adult ticket including taxes and fees.
The Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tours are also good but cost more at ~$46 per adult ticket including taxes and fees.
Chicago also has excellent museums, including the Natural History Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Chicago Art Institute. Last year, we spent hours at the Chicago Art Institute and only saw one wing of the collection!