We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
We recently redeemed American Airlines miles to visit India, so I thought I’d write about how we had Big Travel with Small Money!
Trip Report Index:
- American Airlines Admiral Lounge and Flagship Lounge – Kansas City & Chicago
- American Airlines First Class – Chicago to London
- British Airways Concorde Lounge – London Heathrow
- British Airways – (New) First Class – London to Mumbai, India
- An Indian Wedding Extravaganza
- InterContinental Lalit – Mumbai, India
- Park Hyatt – Goa, India
- Jet Airways, First Class – Mumbai, India to London
- Jet Airways, Business Class – Mumbai, India to London
- American Airlines, First Class – London to Chicago
- American Airlines, Business Class – London to Chicago
Emily and I have earned over 1.2 million AAdvantage miles from Citibank AAdvantage cards a few years ago. We decided to use some of these miles for our trip to India to take part in a friend’s wedding.
We booked our trip as 2 separate 1-way tickets since American airlines allows 1-way award redemptions.
- 90,000 AAdvantage miles each for a 1-way First Class ticket from Kansas City to Chicago, and Chicago to London on American Airlines First Class connecting to Jet Airways First Class from London to Mumbai.
- 67,500 AAdvantage miles each for a 1-way Business Class ticket from Mumbai to London on Jet Airways business class connecting to American Airlines from London to Chicago and then on to Kansas City
We paid the princely sum of $62 (including the $20 telephone booking fee) + 90,000 miles for each 1-way first class ticket from the US to India.
For the return journey we paid $96.60 (including the $20 telephone booking fee) +67,500 miles for each 1-way business class ticket from India to the US.
This was a great deal and I was very excited since Jet Airways has private suites in First Class and I was very eager to try them out.
So for 157,500 AAdvantage miles + $158.60 each we would get to travel 16,000 miles in First Class!
The retail price of these tickets was ~$18,000, which we would have NEVER paid otherwise. So thanks to our miles and points, we got to have a wonderful experience which we will always treasure!
A few months before we were to leave, we learned that there was a pre-wedding ceremony called the sangeet, which was scheduled before our intended arrival.
So, we had to change our departure dates by a few days, and since there were no Jet Airways flights available with 2 award seats, we had to fly British Airways from London to Mumbai.
Our plane had the brand new first class seats which were extremely elegant and comfortable.
Later on we learned that Emily had to return to the US a few days earlier than me. Emily liked the First Class experience so much, that she asked if I could change her ticket from Business Class to First Class! 🙂
I called American Airlines and we managed to get her a seat in First Class on Jet Airways (which has the private suites) for her return trip.
Collecting miles is fun, but it’s even more fun when you get to redeem your miles to spend time with your loved ones. The experiences which Emily and I have had – and will continue to have! – will stay with us for a very, very, long time.
What do you want to do with your miles? Have you redeemed miles for a dream vacation? Tell us about it in the comments!
Don’t forget that each comment made, on any entry in the blog, up to 7:00 pm CST on June 21, 2011 gets an entry into a drawing for a free TrackItBack luggage tag set worth $50!
For an additional entry, sign up to receive free blog posts via email by 7:00 pm CST on June 21, 2011! You’ll only get 1 email per day filled with the latest tips on earning miles and points and you’ll also be entered in the random drawing.