Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
If you’re looking to earn lots of Hilton points but don’t like the idea of paying an annual fee, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is a great pick!
Along with an easy-to-earn welcome bonus of 75,000 Hilton points after spending just $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, the Hilton Honors American Express Card also comes with terrific perks you don’t often see on no-annual-fee cards (See Rates & Fees).
To help you decide if this is the right card for you, here’s why we’re fans of the Hilton Honors American Express Card.
Top 7 Reasons We Like the AMEX Hilton Honors Card
Apply Here: Hilton Honors American Express Card
Easily Earn a 75,000 Hilton Point Welcome Bonus
The AMEX Hilton Honors Card offers a welcome bonus of 75,000 Hilton points after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. That’s not a lot of spending to unlock a substantial bonus!
Award nights at Hilton hotels cost 10,000 to 100,000 Hilton points, depending on the location and hotel brand. You could redeem the 50,000 Hilton point welcome bonus for as many as 5 nights at Hilton hotels if you can find a hotel that costs just 10,000 Hilton points per night. But most Hilton hotels cost more.
Or if you book a mid-range Hilton hotel, you could get 1 to 2 nights with the intro bonus. Here are a few examples:
- 2 nights at Hampton Inn Tropicana in Las Vegas (25,000 Hilton points per night)
- 5 nights at Hilton Garden Inn Tulsa in Oklahoma (10,000 Hilton points per night)
- 1 night at DoubleTree Chicago Downtown / Magnificent Mile (50,000 Hilton points per night)
- 5 nights at Hampton Inn and Suites Bakersfield, CA / Hwy 58 (10,000 Hilton points per night)
- 1 night at Home2 Suites by Hilton New York Long Island / Manhattan View (50,000 Hilton points per night)’
- 5 nights at Hampton Inn St. Louis / Columbia, IL (10,000 Hilton points per night)
I found most of the best deals come from the Hampton Inn brand. So keep an eye on those hotels if you are looking at squeezing the most value from your welcome bonus (plus, everyone gets a free hot breakfast!).
No Annual Fee and No Foreign Transaction Fees
The AMEX Hilton Honors Card is the only Hilton card with no annual fee. So you can keep it forever and not worry about paying anything extra.
Keeping no-annual-fee cards long term can increase the average age of your accounts, and potentially boost your credit score.
Plus, this is one of the few no-annual-fee cards that also doesn’t add foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). So you can use it abroad without getting stung with surprise charges!
Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Elite Status
Just for having this card, you’ll earn complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status. This is a great way to make your stay at Hilton hotels more pleasant with extra perks.
Silver status gets you:
- Free Wi-Fi
- 12 Hilton base points per $1 spent on stays
- No resort fees on award stays
- Late checkout
- 2 water bottles per Stay
- 5th night free on award stays
With this card, you can earn Gold elite status if you spend $20,000 on eligible purchases in a calendar year. However, if you are planning on putting this much spending on the card, you’ll likely be better off with one of the other Hilton cards.
Earn Hilton Points on Everyday Spending
The AMEX Hilton Honors Card earns bonus points on common expenses most folks make anyway!
You will earn:
- 7X Hilton bonus points per $1 spent on purchases made directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio
- 5X Hilton bonus points per $1 spent at US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations
- 3X Hilton bonus points on all other eligible purchases
- Terms Apply
By putting everyday spending on the card, especially purchases in bonus categories, your Hilton points balance can increase very quickly!
Complimentary ShopRunner Membership
Emily used her complimentary ShopRunner membership to find the perfect swimsuit and get it delivered days before an upcoming trip. Don’t forget to enroll for ShopRunner after you apply for and receive your card.
This membership normally costs you $79 per year if purchased directly from ShopRunner. Considering that you can earn it complimentary for just having this no-annual-fee card open, is a great deal.
Access to AMEX Offers
AMEX Offers is a valuable program that can save you money on purchases you might make anyway. I have even discovered new shops near me thanks to incentives from AMEX Offers.
With AMEX Offers, just add the offer to your card and you’ll earn bonus points or a rebate when you use your card to make a qualifying purchase. No coupon clipping required!
Team member Jasmin used AMEX Offers to save ~$200 with one of her AMEX cards last year!
Use your AMEX Hilton Honors Card for big purchases to get access to AMEX’s excellent protection benefits.
Extended Warranty protection will match your warranty for up to 1 additional year when you use your American Express card for eligible purchases that come with an original US manufacturer’s warranty of 5 years or less. So if you use this card to purchase a TV that normally has a 2-year warranty, it will be extended to 3-year warranty through American Express.
This card also offers Theft and Accidental Damage Protection on eligible purchases that you make with your card for 90 days after the purchase date and up to $1,000 per occurrence. So if you buy a new phone and drop it within the first 90 days of using it, the phone would be covered.
Lastly, you also earn Return Protection which covers you if you try to return an eligible item purchased with your card within 90 days from the purchase date and the merchant won’t take it back. This coverage is limited to US purchases of $300 per item and $1,000 per calendar year.
The AMEX Hilton Honors Card is worth considering if you like Hilton hotels but don’t want to pay an annual fee. And it comes with loads of extra perks, some of which aren’t common on no-annual-fee cards!
Here are a few of our favorite things:
- 75,000 Hilton point welcome bonus after spending just $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary Hilton Silver elite status
- Earn Hilton bonus points on everyday spending
- Complimentary ShopRunner membership (free 2-day shipping at 140+ online stores)
- Access to money-saving AMEX Offers
- Purchase protection (extended warranty, return protection, and theft / accidental damage protection)
Let us know your favorite perk of AMEX Hilton Honors Card in the comments!
For rates and fees of the Amex Hilton Card, please click here.