We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Here’s our review of the Marvel Mastercard. It’s a no-annual-fee cash back card from Synchrony Bank with cool superhero card art. But just because a card looks fancy doesn’t mean it deserves a place in your wallet!
It earns 3% cash back at restaurants and on select entertainment like movie theaters, games, Marvel.com, and more, but it does NOT have a great sign-up bonus. And there are similar no-annual-fee cards that are better for a number of different reasons!
Here’s more about the Marvel Mastercard. And suggestions for other cards that are a better deal for you!
- $25 statement credit after your first purchase
- No annual fee
- Good earning rate on dining, entertainment, or at Marvel.com or Marvel’s official merchandise booths
- NOT the best no-annual-fee card available (and we’ll explain why!)
Is the Marvel Card Really That Marvel-ous? (Sorry, I Couldn’t Resist!)
You’ll get a $25 statement credit after your first purchase, along with:
- 3% cash back on dining and select entertainment (like movie theaters, video rental and game stores, theatrical and concert promoters, amusement parks, digital entertainment, music, games and software, books and newsstands, toys and hobby stores)
- 3% cash back online at Marvel.com and at Marvel’s official merchandise booths
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- 10% off purchases at MarvelShop.com
- Free shipping offers at MarvelShop.com
- 3 free months of Marvel Unlimited membership (gives you online access to 17,000+ Marvel comics)
- No annual fee
Who Should Consider This Card?
The main perk of this card is the 3% back on restaurants and entertainment, 2 categories where many folks spend a lot of money.
Or maybe you just want a cool Marvel comics character to flash around on your card. 🙂
Hulk Smash! Wants More More Powerful Sign-Up Bonus!
The $25 welcome bonus for this card is weak. And you’ll only earn 1% back on most everything else.
If you spend a lot of money on comic books and Marvel merchandise, the Marvel Mastercard could be a good card for you.
But while it might be fun to have comic book superheroes on your credit card, there are better cash back cards out there!
My Spidey-Sense Is Tingling in the Direction of Better Cash Back Cards
Do you think a $25 sign-up bonus worth a hard credit pull? I don’t think so. Because there are other no-annual-fee cash back cards with better bonuses and similar bonus categories.
- Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card has a $150 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the 3 months of account opening
- Capital One® Quicksilver® Card comes with a $150 sign-up bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Chase Freedom has a $150 sign-up bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has a $150 welcome bonus (as a statement credit) after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
Here’s more about my no-annual-fee card suggestions.
Capital One Savor Rewards
Besides having no annual fee and not charging foreign transaction fees, the Capital One Savor card comes with a $150 sign-up bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
Plus, you’ll earn:
- 3% cash back on dining
- 2% cash back on groceries
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
Redeeming the cash back you earn with the Capital One Savor card is easy. You can request a check or statement credit, any time, with no minimum redemption amount.
In comparison to the Marvel credit card, this card would be a better option because of the bigger sign-up bonus. You get the same 3% cash back on dining out. But you’ll also earn 2% cash back on grocery purchases! Plus, the Capital One Savor card does NOT charge foreign transaction fees. So it’s a great card to use while traveling, when folks tend to spend more dining out.
Capital One Quicksilver
You’ll also get perks like:
- 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- Travel accident insurance – Insurance for death or dismemberment at no extra charge when you purchase airfare using your card
- Auto rental insurance – Secondary collision and theft insurance for you and all additional drivers on your agreement
- Extended warranty – Additional warranty protection when you purchase items with your card
- Price protection – Get reimbursed the difference if the price drops on eligible items within 120 days of purchase
- NO annual fee
- NO foreign transaction fees
So if you’re looking for a no-annual-fee card with a simple cash back structure and no foreign transaction fees, this card could be worth considering.
It’s a better option than the Marvel Mastercard for most folks, because of the bigger sign-up bonus and 1.5% cash back on all purchases. But if you tend to spend more on dining and groceries, you’ll do better with the Capital One Savor.
Million Mile Secrets team member Keith has had the Capital One Quicksilver card for many years! He finds it especially easy to get his cash back, because you can redeem your cash back in any amount.
Link: Chase Freedom
The Chase Freedom card is one of our favorite no-annual-fee cards. It has a $150 (15,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards point) sign-up bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
And like the Marvel credit card, you’ll earn 1% on all other purchases. So you might consider the Freedom instead. Because with the Freedom, you can earn the one-time $150 sign-up bonus AND 5% back in select categories each quarter when you activate your card.
But some folks don’t like having to track rotating bonus categories. And it does charge foreign transaction fees. So you’ll have to decide for yourself what makes the most sense for your particular situation.
Million Mile Secrets team member Scott has kept his no-annual-fee Freedom card for years. He really likes maximizing the rotating 5% categories.
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
The AMEX Blue Cash Everyday is also a no-annual-fee cash back card. And you’ll earn $150 back (as a statement credit) after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account.
You’ll also get 3% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%), 2% cash back at US gas stations and select US department stores, and 1% cash back on everything else.
It doesn’t have an annual fee. And you’ll have the opportunity to save even more with AMEX Offers and perks like extended warranty, purchase and return protection, and more!
Million Mile Secrets team member Meghan has saved thousands of dollars using the AMEX Offers that appear on her online accounts. These special, easy-to-use discounts are only available to American Express cardholders. She’s saved money on wine (lots of wine!), department stores, hotel stays, dog sitting, and more!
The Marvel Mastercard from Synchrony Bank looks pretty cool if you like superheroes. But as the saying goes, you should never judge a book (or credit card) by its cover!
You’ll earn a $25 sign-up bonus after your first purchase, and earn 3% cash back at restaurants and on select entertainment, like movies and concerts. But unless you’re spending a small fortune at Marvel.com (3% back) and MarvelShop.com (10% off), use your Captain America shield to block this offer from your mailbox.
Because there are better cards with larger sign-up bonuses and similar bonus categories. That’s why we recommend these cards instead: Capital One Savor, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, and AMEX Blue Cash Everyday.