We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Million Mile Secrets readers, Robert and Brian, commented:
Unfortunately, combining Hilton points with friends or loved ones does NOT extend the life of your points. So be mindful of the expiration date or you risk losing your points!
That said, there are lots of ways to keep your Hilton points from expiring. Even without staying in a hotel!
I’ll share how to keep Hilton points from expiring!
Keep Hilton Points From Expiring
If you plan to pool Hilton points with friends or family, but don’t have an immediate award stay planned, I recommend combining points in the loyalty account that has the most time left before points expiration.
Because pooling points does NOT qualify as an activity to reset your points expiration date. And with Hilton, points expire within 12 months of no earning or redemption activity.
If your expiration date is coming up, here are the many ways you can earn or redeem Hilton points to extend the life of your points.
1. Earn Hilton Points
- Stay at any Hilton hotel
- Use a Hilton credit card
- Buy, give, or receive Hilton points
- Shop with the Hilton Shop-To-Earn Mall
- Order flowers from FTD or Teleflora
- Rent a car with a Hilton rental partner
- Sign-up with Hilton Honors Dining and earn points when you dine out and pay with your registered card
- Enroll in e-Miles and take surveys. Then, transfer points to your Hilton loyalty account
- Earn points with LifeLock and NRG
- Transfer miles from Hawaiian Airlines or Virgin Atlantic to Hilton in a 2 : 3 ratio
- Transfer American Express Membership Rewards or Diner’s Club points to Hilton
2. Redeem Hilton Points
- Redeem for a free night at any Hilton brand world-wide
- Convert Hilton points into airline, cruise line, rail, or rental car accounts for travel rewards
- Redeem points for merchandise from the Hilton Shopping Mall
- Donate Hilton points to local charities
- Transfer points to airline mileage accounts
And remember, unlike other hotel chains, booking a future award stay does NOT count as redemption activity at Hilton hotels.
Pooling Hilton points with friends and family will NOT reset the expiration date of your points. This means your points will still expire after 12 months of no earning or redemption activity.
But there are lots of other ways to keep your points active. For example, you can earn points with a Hilton credit card. Or you can transfer flexible points to your Hilton loyalty account from AMEX Membership Rewards.
How do you keep your Hilton points alive?