How to Use the 80,000 Point Marriott Card for Big Travel!
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
There used to a sign-up bonus of 70,000 Marriott points on this card, which might be a better offer for some folks. But we don’t know when the offer will return.
80,000 Marriott points can add up to Big Travel, like 10 nights at a Category 1 Marriott hotel or 1 night at a luxury Ritz-Carlton!
I’ll show you how you can use Marriott points for award stays. And give you some ideas about where to go!
Emily and I receive a commission from the personal version of the card, but NOT the business version. No matter what, we’ll always tell you about the best deals!
What’s the Deal?
Link: Chase Marriott Premier Rewards (Business)
Link: Marriott Award Chart
You’ll earn 80,000 Marriott points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the 1st 3 months of opening your Chase Marriott Rewards Premier (personal or business) account.
Marriott hotels include:
- AC Hotels by Marriott
- Autograph Collection Hotels
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott
- Gaylord Hotels
- JW Marriott
- Marriott Hotels
- Marriott Vacation Club
- Moxy Hotels
- Protea Hotels
- Renaissance Hotels
- Residence Inn by Marriott
- Springhill Suites by Marriott
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott
You can also use your points are Ritz-Carlton hotels.
You’ll also get:
- 1 free night in a Category 1 to 5 hotel on your card anniversary
- 5X Marriott points per $1 spent at Marriott hotels
- 2X Marriott points per $1 spent at restaurants, on car rentals, airline tickets purchased directly from the airline, and (business card only) cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV.
- 1X Marriott point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- NO foreign transaction fees
- 15 nights credit towards elite status (so you get Marriott Silver status)
- 2 nights at a Category 8 (2nd-highest category) Marriott hotel (40,000 Marriott points per night), like the JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa. 2 nights in September would cost ~$1,128 if you paid cash!
- 3 nights at a Category 5 Marriott hotel (25,000 Marriott points per night), like the Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront.
- 8 nights at a Category 2 Marriott hotel (10,000 Marriott points per night) like the Denver Marriott Tech Center.
- 10 nights at Category 1 Marriott hotels cost 7,500 Marriott points per night. So you could stretch the sign-up bonus to 10 award nights!
Or, if you and your spouse or domestic partner each get both cards and combine your points, you can access Marriott Hotel + Air packages. These include a 7-night hotel stay and you get airline miles. This could be a good way for folks to earn points toward the Southwest Companion Pass!
Remember Marriott points expire after 24 months of account inactivity.
Read my tips about how to apply for a Chase business card!
Where Else Can You Stay?
Marriott has over 4,000 hotels worldwide. So you have LOTS of options to redeem your Marriott points!
Marriott has ~120 hotels in New York City. Including the famous Ritz-Carlton New York, a top-tier Category 5 hotel.
One award night costs 70,000 Marriott points. It would cost ~$1,145 if you paid cash!
There are lots of ways to get Big Travel with Small Money in New York!
London has ~30 Marriott hotels including the St. Ermin’s Hotel, Autograph Collection, a Marriott Category 8 hotel.
Because this is a Marriott Category 8 hotel, it requires 80,000 Marriott points for a 2-night award stay in September. But you can save ~$1,235 by using Marriott points!
Another Marriott Category 8 hotel where you can use Marriott points is the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa in Maui.
Two nights in September cost ~$814, or 80,000 Marriott points.
This is a good deal if you want to visit Hawaii!
The Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel in Paris is a Marriott Category 9 hotel (the highest category!).
Two nights cost 90,000 Marriott points, so this is 1 where you’ll need to earn more Marriott points beyond the sign-up bonus. Or transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Marriott because they are partners!
And remember you’ll have at least 83,000 Marriott points after meeting minimum spending requirements.
If you paid for this stay, it would cost ~$1,464!
You’ll earn 80,000 Marriott points after completing the minimum spending requirements on the the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier personal and business cards.
That’s enough for 2 nights in a luxury Marriott hotel or 10 award nights at Marriott Category 1 hotels! The annual fee is NOT waived for the 1st year.
Emily and I receive a commission for the 80,000 point personal card but NOT the business card. Regardless, we’ll always tell you about the best deals!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)