Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
There are great sign-up bonuses on each of the American Airlines credit cards. If you apply for 2 of them, you could earn over 100,000 American Airlines miles.
That’s enough for a a round-trip Business Class ticket to Europe or South America. Or 4 round-trip coach tickets to anywhere in the continental US & Alaska!
I’ll share some ideas about how to use American Airlines miles for Big Travel!
How to Get American Airlines Miles
With the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Mastercard, you’ll get 50,000 American Airlines miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account.
You’ll also get:
- First bag checked free for you and up to 4 traveling companions
- Preferred Boarding gives you extra time to board and prepare for your flight
- Earn back 10% of miles used for award travel, each calendar year , up to 10,000 miles
Read my review of the card.
Here are a few award flights you can book with 50,000 American Airlines miles:
- 2 round-trip domestic coach tickets (excluding Hawaii)
- 2 round-trip coach tickets to the Caribbean during the off-peak season
- A 1-way Business Class ticket to Europe
And if you earn the sign-up bonus on 2 American Airlines credit cards, you can get more Big Travel.
The Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard has a sign-up bonus of 75,000 American Airlines Miles after spending $7,500 within the 1st 3 months of opening your account. The annual fee of $450 is NOT waived for the 1st year.
But you’ll also get:
- American Airlines Admirals Club membership (worth up to $500) – access Admirals Club lounges, and bring your immediate family or up to 2 guests traveling with you. You do NOT have to be flying American Airlines to enter the lounge!
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit (every 5 years)
- First checked bag free (for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation) on American Airlines and US Airways flights
- 25% discount on in-flight purchases (like food, drink, and headsets) on American Airlines and US Airways flights
- Priority check-in, security (where available), and boarding
- 10,000 elite-qualifying miles if you spend $40,000 or more on the card in a calendar year
- 2 American Airlines miles per $1 you spend on American Airlines
- 1 American Airlines mile per $1 you spend on everything else
- No foreign transaction fees
Read my review of the card.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage World Mastercard
I told you about the new limited-time offer on the CitiBusiness AAdvantage World Mastercard. You’ll earn 50,000 American Airlines miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account.
What Can You Do With American Airlines Miles?
If you sign-up for 2 of the current American Airlines credit cards, you’ll have at least 100,000 American Airlines miles to use for award flights.
That’s enough to fly a family of 4 anywhere within the continental US, Alaska, or Canada round-trip in coach!
Don’t forget, American Airlines has lower prices for off-peak award travel to many destinations including:
- The Caribbean
- South America (Region 2 which includes Brazil)
- Asia (Region 1 which includes Japan)
And when you have 1 (or 2!) American Airlines credit cards, you are eligible for quarterly reduced mileage awards to stretch your miles even further!
Travel on Partner Airlines
One of my favorite ways to get Big Travel is to use American Airlines miles for First Class or Business Class award flights on partner airlines.
That’s because those flights can cost thousands of dollars! Part of the fun of this hobby for me is having experiences I wouldn’t otherwise want to pay for!
- 90,000 American Airlines miles for First Class
- 67,500 American Airlines miles for Business Class
- 45,000 American Airlines miles for coach
I wrote about how to use American Airlines miles on Etihad.
No matter where you want to go, 100,000 American Airlines miles is enough for a round-trip award flight to almost anywhere in the world!
You’ll stretch your miles further by flying in coach. Or you may decide to splurge and fly in First or Business Class.
Use your miles on American Airlines flights on any of their partner airlines that fly to every corner of the world.
Earn American Airlines miles with these 3 cards (after meeting minimum spending requirements):
- 50,000 American Airlines miles with the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Mastercard
- 75,000 American Airlines miles with the Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard
- 50,000 American Airlines miles with the CitiBusiness AAdvantage World Mastercard
If you earn the bonus on 2 American Airlines cards, you’d have enough to fly a family of 4 anywhere within the mainland US, Alaska, or Canada in coach. Or enough for 1 round-trip flight to Europe in Business Class!
American Airlines miles are valuable because they have a variety of transfer partners such as Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, off-peak award flights for fewer miles, and reduced mileage awards for American Airlines credit card members.
What’s your favorite way to use American Airlines miles?