Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Airline frequent flyer program rules can be confusing – especially so if you collect a number of different types of miles & points. So you might be wondering: Do Delta miles expire?
The answer is no, Delta miles do not expire. That’s a huge bonus if you’ve been collecting miles from top Delta credit cards like the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, or Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express. Even if you don’t have immediate travel plans, you can rest easy knowing your miles won’t vanish if you don’t use them right away.
Here’s why that sets Delta apart from other airlines!
Delta Miles Do Not Expire
Delta miles do not expire, but that’s not the case for a majority of other airlines’ frequent flyer programs. Losing travel rewards simply because they expired is the worst, so don’t let it happen to you!
Here’s a look at airline mileage expiration policies:
- Air Canada: 12 months without activity
- Alaska Airlines: 24 months without activity
- American Airlines: 18 months without activity
- British Airways: 36 months without activity
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: 36 months after earning
- Delta Miles: Never expire
- Hawaiian Airlines: 18 months without activity
- JetBlue: Never expire
- Singapore Airlines: 36 months after earning
- Southwest Airlines: 24 months without earning
- Spirit Airlines: 3 months without earning
- United Airlines: 18 months without activity
Use Delta Miles for Free Flights
Delta miles don’t expire, but the downside of Delta’s program is that there’s no official award chart. That means you’ll have to look up your particular flight to see how many miles it’ll cost.
The good news is Delta has frequent flash sales, and if you have certain Delta credit cards, you can use Delta’s Pay With Miles feature. With this option, your Delta miles are worth 1 cent each towards the cost of your ticket.
If you need more Delta miles, you can earn miles toward these flights with cards like:
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card
Just remember, you’ll want to apply for these cards when their welcome offers are at their highest because you can only earn the bonus on a particular AMEX card once per lifetime.
As an alternative, you could earn AMEX Membership Rewards points which transfer to Delta at a 1:1 ratio with these cards:
|Personal Cards||Business Cards|
|The Business Platinum® Card from American Express||The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express|
|American Express® Gold Card||American Express® Business Gold Card|
|Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Business Green Rewards Card from American Express|
Delta miles do not expire, regardless of whether or not there is any activity in your Delta frequent flyer account.
That’s a unique benefit of Delta’s frequent flyer program, as a majority of other types of airline miles will expire if you don’t meet certain criteria.