Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
The new Chase Ink Business Preferred card has a terrific 3X bonus category for travel purchases.
This is an excellent perk for folks who spend lots of money on airfare or hotels. Because you’ll earn bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which are my favorite type of points!
But travel purchases are not limited to airfare and hotels. The Chase travel category is broad and includes things like admission to a National Park and parking or metro passes.
I’ll share some expenses you might not realize earn you 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points with the Ink Business Preferred!
Chase Ink Business Preferred Travel Benefit
With the Ink Business Preferred card, you earn 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points for every $1 you spend on:
- Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines
You’ll earn 3X bonus points on up to a maximum of $150,000 in combined purchases per account.
I know lots of small business owners who spend money on travel. So it’s a wonderful bonus category for many folks!
What’s Included in the Travel Category?
Chase broadly defines the travel category to include:
Airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages
Are you attending a conference for your business? You can pay for the airfare and hotel with your Ink Business Preferred and you’ll earn 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Besides airfare and hotels, there are lots of specific purchases you might not think of, which can also get you the 3X bonus, including:
- Amtrak or European rail travel
- Bridges and tolls
- Bus fares with Megabus or BoltBus
- Campground reservations at KOA and others
- Car rental (plus primary auto rental insurance when renting for business purposes)
- Expedia, Orbitz, and Priceline reservations
- Ferry rides, like from Helsinki to Tallinn
- Lyft & Uber rides
- Monthly metro mass transit card
- National Park admission fees
- Parking at a stadium or concert venue
- Renting a public bicycle from services like Citi Bikes in New York City
And remember, there are no foreign transaction fees with the Ink Business Preferred. This means you can earn 3X points on overseas travels purchases without any extra fees!
Accelerate Rewards Earning With 3X Travel Bonus
Depending on the amount you spend for your business, the 3X bonus can really add up.
For example, if you spend $10,000 a year on travel purchases, you’ll earn 30,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points. This is in addition to points you’ll earn on everyday purchases for your business.
30,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed for:
- $300 cash back
- $375 in travel through the Chase Travel Portal
- 1 free night at a Category 7 Hyatt hotel or Category 6 Marriott hotel
- One-way coach ticket from the US to Europe on United Airlines and partner airlines
You can even boost your points balance even more by adding employees as authorized users to your account. It doesn’t cost anything to do so!
When employees make travel purchases, you will benefit because the 3X bonus points go into your rewards account.
The Chase Ink Business Preferred travel benefit is fantastic because you earn 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel purchases.
Chase defines the travel category broadly. So besides airfare and hotel spending, you can 3X points on purchases like Airbnb, National Park admission fees, parking, and much more!
The ongoing bonus points you earn from travel purchases is a nice addition to the card’s 80,000 point sign-up bonus.