Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Here’s how to earn cash back and credit card points while keeping your New Year’s resolution to get fit and eat healthy.
- Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card – $500 intro bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months, 2% cash back at grocery stores, reimburses Postmates Unlimited for supermarket delivery that you’ll use for broccoli, not fried egg rolls
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express -$200 statement credit bonus after spending $1,000 in the first three months, earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1%)
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card – 10,000 American Airlines miles intro bonus + $50 statement credit after spending $500 in the first three months, 2 miles per $1 at grocery stores where they sell avocados, skip the Oreos
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – Up to 60,000 point sign-up bonus worth ~$1,200 for Hyatt award stays after spending $6,000 total in the first six months. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on fitness clubs and gym memberships
- Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card – intro bonus is 2 Free Night Awards after spending $3,000 in the first three months , use points at Westin hotels known for their top-notch fitness facilities and programs
Note: To earn each credit card sign-up bonus, you need to meet the minimum spending requirement.
Earn Cash Back and Points for Supermarket Spend (Skip the Fast Food, Buy Vegetables!)
Here are the highlights of easy ways to save at the supermarket to fuel your healthy start to 2019:
1 – Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card – on top of the great intro bonus, there’s
- 2% cash back at grocery stores
- 4% cash back on dining (which you’ll be using only for fruit smoothies, right?)
- 4% cash back on entertainment (to reward yourself for sticking to your diet)
- no annual fee in year one with the card
- reimburses Postmates Unlimited for supermarket delivery
With Postmates Unlimited, you get $0 delivery fees on orders over $15. You won’t pay blitz pricing or have minimum basket fees from 300,000+ restaurants and businesses. This includes certain supermarket chains, pharmacies, and more.
When you pay for a monthly Postmates Unlimited membership using your Savor card, you’re reimbursed with a monthly statement credit of $9.99 through December 2019.
2 – Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express – this is the most popular card for earning cash back at US supermarkets
3 – American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card – 2 miles per $1 at grocery stores is pretty good. I added this particular credit card to the list because it’s the only one with no annual fee.
Earn Cash Back and Points for Getting in Shape!
1 – The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – 2 Hyatt points per $1 spent on fitness clubs and gym memberships is a good deal.
Because it’s not too hard to turn, say, 25,000 Hyatt points into a free resort hotel stay that would’ve cost you $500.
The gym membership perk alone isn’t going to earn you a free hotel stay. But it will pad your points balance while you remove the padding off your stomach at the gym. And that might be the motivation you need! 🙂
Also, the intro bonus on this credit card is excellent right now.
2 – Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card – I included this credit card here because you can use the free nights from the sign-up bonus along with Marriott points to stay at Westin hotels, famous for their focus on fitness.
Westin hotels feature “gettin’-in-shape” perks like:
- special WestinWORKOUT rooms: you get a treadmill or a stationary bike, weights, resistance bands, a stability ball, and a set of exercises DVDs — IN YOUR ROOM. Whoa.
- WestinWORKOUT fitness studios – cardio equipment, TRX equipment, weights, and some have those crazy Peloton stationary bikes so you can exercise along with a live cycling class that you watch on the bike’s big monitor
- the RunWESTIN program. These are 3 and 5 mile running routes around the hotel, some staffed with a “Run Concierge” (sounds like a fun job!) who lead a group run
- $5 sneakers – Westin will loan you a set of New Balance exercise clothes and shoes for $5 (sounds gross to me, but I haven’t used this perk. Just kidding, I’m sure it’s all very clean.)
Bottom Line to Firming Up Your Bottom
I really need to get in shape. But enough about my struggles to avoid Cheez-It crackers. These cash back credit cards will reward your supermarket spending:
- Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card – $500 intro bonus, 2% cash back at grocery stores, reimburses Postmates Unlimited for supermarket delivery
- Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express -$200 statement credit bonus, earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1%)
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card – 10,000 American Airlines miles intro bonus + $50 statement credit, 2 miles per $1 at grocery stores
And these 2 are helpful for fitness:
Personally the Capital One Savor is next on my list of cash back credit cards to get. The bonus is really good and I love the cash back bonus categories. But pick the card that makes the most sense for your situation.
All 5 of these credit cards are appealing. It just depends on whether you prefer cash back, airlines miles, or hotel points. And most importantly, I hope 2019 brings you health and and cash back wealth! 🙂