We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
If you like to earn welcome bonuses for Big Travel, applying for AMEX small business cards can be a great way to boost your rewards balances. And with The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, you can earn up to 75,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements.
That’s one of the biggest small business card bonuses being offered right now!
I’ll share tips for getting approved for the AMEX Business Platinum card. As well as a reminder about why this card could be a great option for you!
Maximize Your Chances of Getting Approved for the AMEX Business Platinum Card
If you’re considering applying for the AMEX Business Platinum card, the good news is, AMEX small business cards are relatively easy to get.
1. Determine Your Eligibility
As long as you’re operating a for-profit business (even if you have very low income), you can qualify for an AMEX small business card!
Just remember, AMEX only allows folks to earn a welcome bonus once per card per lifetime. But you can get the bonus once per lifetime for the personal version, and once per lifetime for the business version.
2. Know Your Credit Score
According to many data points from credit card forums and other folks within the miles & points hobby, the AMEX Business Platinum card usually requires “good” to “excellent” credit.
In general, a score of 700+ is considered good.
Plus, because the AMEX Business Platinum is a charge card and NOT a credit card, you are not getting a revolving credit line. This means it could be easier to qualify as long as you have good credit history. But you’ll have to pay the balance in full each month.
But no matter how great your credit score is, American Express always has the final say. They look at many factors, and can decline you for any reason, including:
- Credit limit across accounts
- Credit utilization
- Too many recent credit card applications
- Too many AMEX cards
3. Fill Out the Application Correctly
The AMEX Business Platinum card application is very straightforward. But you’ll need to answer more questions than you would on a personal card application.
If you’re an existing American Express customer, you can login to your account to have the application automatically enter your existing personal information.
You can apply using just your social security number if you don’t have an EIN (Employer Identification Number). Plus, AMEX does NOT have strict income requirements for small business cards.
Million Mile Secrets team members Meghan, Keith, and Harlan have always used their social security numbers to apply as sole proprietors for small business cards. And if you’re applying as a sole proprietor (meaning you’re not in any type of partnership), you can use your name as the legal business name.
4. Include ANY and ALL Income You Earn!
Besides your credit score, the total income you report on your credit card application can be an important factor in receiving approval and the amount of your credit limit.
Most banks allow you to include income beyond traditional salaries and wages. You can include things like:
- Investment income from stocks and rental properties
- Social security
- Retirement benefits
- Military allowances
- Shared income from a partner
Just be sure to tell the truth in your application. If you’re including income from non-traditional sources, be prepared to explain it to the bank!
5. Call the Reconsideration Line If You Need To
When you apply for a credit card, you’ll see 1 of the following results: approved, declined, or pending application.
If you’re not automatically approved for the card, I recommend NOT calling the reconsideration line, but instead waiting until you get a message from AMEX telling you their decision (or you see the result through your online application status).
That said, if you’re declined in the end, it’s worth a call to the bank’s reconsideration line. So you can speak to a credit representative to find out what’s going on.
A few tips to remember when calling the reconsideration line:
- Be friendly. Customer service representatives will appreciate kindness because they put up with a lot!
- Know WHY you are applying for this card, other than the bonus. Know key features of the card that you’ll use. Do NOT say you just want the welcome bonus
- Be prepared to provide documentation regarding your business, such as a copy of a business card, proof of mailing address, invoices, etc.
AMEX Business Platinum Card
- 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
- 25,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same timeframe
The card also comes with perks like:
- 1.5X AMEX Membership Rewards points on single purchases of $5,000+
- 5X AMEX Membership Rewards points when you book airfare and hotels through the AMEX travel portal
- 35% of your points back for ALL First Class or Business Class flights booked through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- 35% of your points back for all flights, including coach tickets, booked with your selected airline through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- Up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for airline incidentals with your selected airline (luggage fees, in-flight food & drink, etc.)
- Ability to book hotel stays through AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts
- AMEX Premium Roadside Assistance
- Access to airport lounges (Delta, Priority Pass, Airspace, and American Express Centurion Lounges)
- Bonus points or statement credits when taking advantage of an AMEX Offer
- Elite car rental status with Avis, Executive status with National Car Rental, and Gold Plus Rewards with Hertz
- Free Hilton HHonors Gold elite status (free breakfast and upgrades when available)
- Free Starwood Gold elite status, which you can use to instantly match to Marriott Gold elite status
- 10 free Gogo in-flight Wi-Fi passes each calendar year
- Statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Terms & limitations apply
Although the $450 annual fee is NOT waived the first year, you can get LOTS of Big Travel with the welcome bonus alone.
AMEX Membership Rewards points are popular transferable points to collect. Because you get flexibility to redeem points for award travel with any of the 19 AMEX airline or hotel partners. You can also use points to buy gift cards to popular stores and restaurants.
AMEX Business Cards Do NOT Get in the Way of Future Chase Card Applications
Another great aspect of the AMEX Business Platinum card is that it does NOT count towards Chase’s 5/24 rule. Because AMEX business cards will not show up on your personal credit report.
So getting this card won’t hurt your chances of being approved for Chase cards in the future!
The AMEX Business Platinum card has one of the best bonuses of any small business credit card right now! You’ll earn up to 75,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after meeting tiered minimum spending requirements.
To improve your odds of being approved for the AMEX Business Platinum card, make sure you meet requirements like:
- Have a credit score of 700+
- Operate a for-profit venture
- Have NOT received the welcome bonus from the AMEX Business Platinum before
Ultimately, American Express has the final say in whether you’ll be approved.
If your application isn’t immediately approved, you should wait for the automated system to make a decision. If you’re declined, you should call AMEX to be reconsidered.
If you have any tips of your own, please share them in the comments to help your fellow readers!