It’s a wonderful time of year to consider applying for one (or more) of these fantastic credit card offers!
|Card Name||Sign-Up Bonus|
|Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card||80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points (worth $800 in cash back or $1,000 in travel) after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points (worth $500 in cash back or $625 in travel) after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
|The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN||Up to 75,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points
Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 in the first 3 months from account opening
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card||50,000 Capital One Venture miles (worth $500 in travel) after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||50,000 Capital One Spark miles (worth $500 in travel) after you spend $4,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business||$500 cash back after you spend $4,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
|Chase Sapphire Reserve℠||50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points (worth $500 in cash back or $750 in travel) after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
If you apply now, you’ll have time to make holiday purchases with your new card. This can help you meet minimum spending requirements and earn very valuable sign-up bonuses.
There are great offers for folks who like to earn cash back. Or deals for those who want to save money on travel by earning miles & points!
If you’re new to earning credit card rewards, be sure to read my post with myths associated with applying for new cards. Lots of folks are delighted to discover it’s possible to keep 20+ credit cards open AND maintain an excellent credit score!
Best Travel Credit Cards December 2017
Link: Hot Deals
Lots of Million Mile Secrets readers apply for top travel credit cards to enjoy Big Travel with Small Money. But whether you’re looking to travel or just want to earn some easy cash, these are the best cards to consider!
1. Chase Ink Business Preferred ($800 in Cash Back or $1,000+ Worth of Travel)
The Chase Ink Business Preferred continues to be my favorite offer! It has the largest sign-up bonus among any of the cards earning Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which are my favorite type of flexible points!
You can redeem the sign-up bonus for:
- $800 in cash back
- $1,000 in travel by booking airfare, hotel stays, or car rentals through the Chase’s travel portal (no blackout dates)
- Potentially even more value by transferring points directly to airline and hotel partners, like Hyatt or United Airlines (watch this step-by-step video guide to learn how!)
Team member Keith recently helped his mom sign-up for the Ink Business Preferred. She used part of the sign-up bonus to pay nearly nothing for an all-inclusive trip to Los Cabos, Mexico!
With the Ink Business Preferred, you also get:
- 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points for every $1 you spend on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites, and search engines (up to a maximum of $150,000 in combined purchases per account anniversary year)
- 1X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on all other purchases
- Up to $600 in cell phone insurance when you pay your cell phone bill with the card
- Primary auto rental insurance (CDW) when renting for business purposes, plus purchase and extended warranty protection
The $95 annual fee is NOT waived the first year.
Even though this is a small business card, you might qualify without realizing it! You can apply by just entering your Social Security Number.
Just keep in mind, Chase will NOT approve you for their Ultimate Rewards points earning cards if you’ve opened 5 or more credit card accounts (from any bank) in the past 24 months (NOT counting Chase business cards and these other business cards).
2. Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 in Cash Back or $625+ Worth of Travel)
Link: Chase Sapphire Preferred
When you sign-up, you’ll earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account.
The sign-up bonus is worth $500 in cash back or $625 in free travel when you book through the Chase portal.
Sapphire Preferred cardholders also get:
- 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 on travel and dining
- 5,000 bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards points (worth $50 in cash back) when you add an authorized user and make a purchase within the first 3 months
- Primary car rental insurance – Covers damage or theft to your rental car, when you pay for the rental with your card
- Trip delay reimbursement – Get up to $500 back per ticket when your trip is delayed more than 12 hours
- NO foreign transaction fees
The $95 annual fee is waived the first year, which means you can use the card for free for ~10 or ~11 months. Then, decide if you like the benefits enough to pay the annual fee.
3. AMEX Business Platinum (Get $950 Worth of Gift Cards but MUCH More for Travel)
It’s an especially good time of year to consider applying to the AMEX Business Platinum card. Because cardholders can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for airline incidentals with their selected airline.
Because the credit works on a calendar year, you can earn it now in 2017 and again in early 2018. So you could earn a total of $400 in credits in just a couple of months, which nearly offset the annual fee expense!
This card does have a large minimum spending requirement. But if you’re planning to make a large purchases, it might be a good fit.
When you sign-up, you’ll earn 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. And an extra 25,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same timeframe.
So after meeting the tiered minimum spending requirements, you’ll have at least 95,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points (75,000 points from sign-up bonus + at least 20,000 points from minimum spending).
You can redeem these points to get $950 worth of gift cards through the AMEX portal. But they’re much more valuable if you transfer them directly to any of the 20 AMEX airline or hotel partners to book award travel.
With the Business Platinum, you’ll also get:
- 1.5X AMEX Membership Rewards points on single purchases of $5,000+
- 35% of your points back for ALL First Class or Business Class flights booked through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- 35% of your points back for all flights, including coach tickets, booked with your selected airline through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- $200 in statement credits per calendar year for airline incidentals with your selected airline (luggage fees, in-flight food & drink, etc.)
- Access to airport lounges (Delta, Priority Pass, Airspace, and American Express Centurion Lounges)
- Statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Free Hilton HHonors Gold elite status (free breakfast and upgrades when available)
- Terms & limitations apply
This card has a $450 annual fee, which is NOT waived. But the statement credits, airport lounge access, and savings from AMEX Offers can easily offset the fee. These perks are why team member Keith keeps the card in his wallet!
4. Capital One Venture ($500 Worth of Travel)
You can earn 50,000 Venture miles (worth $500 in travel) by signing up for the Capital One Venture card and spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
Venture miles are very straightforward rewards, which are easy to redeem! You just pay for travel expenses (like airfare, hotel stays, parking , and much more) with your credit card. Then, log-in to your account and “erase” the charge by redeeming your miles.
In addition to the valuable sign-up bonus, you’ll get:
- 2 Venture miles per $1 you spend on all purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
The card also comes with Visa Signature Benefits, which include:
- Rental car insurance – Secondary protection against collision or theft
- Travel accident insurance – Up to $250,000 insurance for accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech or hearing
- Lost luggage insurance – Up to $3,000 per trip, provided the luggage was lost from theft or misdirection by the airline, cruise, etc.
And the card’s $95 annual fee is waived the first year! This was the first card team member Keith got when he started in the miles & points hobby. And it helped open his eyes to the amazing deals made possible thanks to credit card rewards!
But if you’re a beginner, I typically recommend getting Chase cards first. Because Chase makes it harder to get their valuable cards if you sign-up for lots of cards with other banks.
5. Capital One Spark Miles ($500 Worth of Travel)
Similar to the Capital One Venture, you can earn simple rewards with the Capital One Spark Miles. When you sign-up, you’ll earn 50,000 Spark miles (worth $500 in travel) after spending $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months.
You can use your miles to offset travel purchases you make on your card, such as airfare, Airbnb, seat upgrades, baggage fees, and much more!
Don’t forget to check out my post with why the Spark Miles & Venture card make an amazing personal and business card combination! Earning the sign-up bonus with both cards could save you $1,000 in total on travel purchases!
Remember this is a small business card , but you can qualify with many types of side activities, like driving for Uber, freelance writing, or graphic design.
Just keep in mind, if you’re new to miles & points, you might consider waiting to get this card after applying for valuable Chase cards.
6. Capital One Spark Cash ($500 Cash Sign-Up Bonus)
If you prefer earning straightforward cash back, the Capital One Spark Cash might be a good match for your wallet.
When you sign-up for the Capital One Spark Cash card, you’ll earn a $500 cash sign-up bonus after spending $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. You’ll also earn unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases!
To redeem your cash back, simply request a check or statement credit, any time, with no minimum redemption amount. The $500 bonus could help pay for some holiday purchases!
7. Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 in Cash Back or $750 Worth of Travel)
Link: Chase Sapphire Reserve
You can earn flexible Chase Ultimate Rewards points by applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. When you sign-up, you’ll earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
You can redeem the sign-up bonus for $500 in cash back or $750 in travel by booking airfare, hotel stays, or car rentals through the Chase’s travel portal (no blackout dates).
You get 1.5 cents per point (instead of 1 or 1.25 cents per point) on travel booked through the Chase portal with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. So you can move points to your Sapphire Reserve account from no annual fee cards like the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited to increase the value of all your points!
With the Sapphire Reserve card, you’ll also get:
- 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 on travel and dining
- $300 statement credit for travel purchases (like airfare, Airbnb, hotels, car rental, Uber, etc.) each calendar year
- Priority Pass Select for access to airport lounges
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry
- No foreign transaction fees
This card also comes with amazing trip protection benefits. You can read how the Sapphire Reserve’s primary rental car coverage saved team member Harlan nearly $700!
There’s a $450 annual fee on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which might appear steep at first. But because the card also comes with up to a $300 annual credit for travel purchases the annual fee is effectively $150 ($450 annual fee – $300 travel credit). That’s one reason team member Meghan keeps this card in her wallet!
My favorite credit card offers for December 2017 are:
- Chase Ink Business Preferred
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- AMEX Business Platinum
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business
- Capital One Spark Cash for Business
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
Earning a valuable sign-up bonus with one of these cards might be easier this month if you have upcoming holiday spending. These purchases can count toward a new card’s minimum spending requirement.