Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Via Running With Miles, American Airlines is giving bonus miles AND a 10% discount when you buy American Airlines miles through September 30, 2017. The more miles you buy, the higher the bonus.
If you buy the maximum number of miles, you’ll effectively pay ~2.15 cents per mile. That’s not a great deal, because we’ve seen better in the recent past.
American Airlines Buy Miles Promotion June 2017
You’ll have to purchase at least 20,000 American Airlines miles to trigger this latest American Airlines bonus and discount. And the more miles you buy, the bigger the bonus. Here’s what you’ll earn:
- 20,000 to 39,000 miles – 7,000 bonus miles + 10% discount
- 40,000 to 59,000 miles – 15,000 bonus miles + 10% discount
- 60,000 to 74,000 miles – 22,500 bonus miles + 10% discount
- 75,000 to 99,000 miles – 30,000 bonus miles + 10% discount
- 100,000 to 149,000 miles – 42,500 bonus miles + 10% discount
- 150,000 miles – 50,000 bonus miles + 10% discount
If you bought the maximum of 150,000 American Airlines miles, you’d earn 200,000 miles total (150,000 miles purchased + 50,000 mile bonus). And you’d pay ~$4,311 including taxes and the 10% discount.
That works out to ~2.15 cents per mile (~$4,311 cost of miles / 200,000 miles).
To compare, if you bought the fewest number of miles to trigger the deal, you’d earn 27,000 American Airlines miles (20,000 miles purchased + 7,000 mile bonus). You’d pay ~$600 including taxes and the discount, for a cost of ~2.22 cents per mile (~$600 cost of miles / 27,000 miles).
This could be a good deal for folks who want more miles to top-off their account for an award flight. Or if you’d otherwise pay cash for an expensive Business or First Class ticket.
For example, if you bought 100,000 miles, you’d spend ~$2,884, and earn 42,500 bonus miles. That’s more than enough for a round-trip Business Class tickets to Shanghai, which can easily cost $5,000+!
But keep in mind, saver level award flights on American Airlines have become very hard to find. Your best bet is to use miles for award flights on partner airlines, like Japan Airlines or Cathay Pacific.
As always, do the math and confirm there are available award seats before you buy miles!
Want more American Airlines Miles?
There are lots of ways to earn American Airlines miles. For example, you can transfer Starwood points to American Airlines at a 1:1 ratio. And you’ll get a bonus 5,000 American Airlines miles when you transfer your Starwood points in increments of 20,000!
There are several credit cards that earn American Airlines miles, too. For example:
- Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard – 75,000 American Airlines miles after spending $7,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard – 50,000 American Airlines miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your accounts
- Barclaycard American Airlines Aviator Red – 60,000 American Airlines bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of annual fee within the first 90 days of account opening
This could be useful if you need to top-off your American Airlines account for a specific award flight. Or if you’d otherwise pay cash for an expensive Business or First Class ticket.
American Airlines saver level award flights are elusive, so make sure award seats are available before you buy miles. You’ll likely have better luck booking award seats on partner airlines.