We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Thank you to our readers for all your support over the years! This week, Emily and I are giving away a $200 American Airlines gift card!
I’ll show you how to enter!
American Airlines is now selling “Basic Economy” tickets along 10 US routes for travel beginning March 1, 2017.
Basic Economy fares are extra cheap tickets that are extremely restrictive. It is NOT a good deal for most folks. Here’s what you can expect with a Basic Economy fare:
- You can NOT choose your own seat
- You can NOT upgrade your seat (even if you have elite status)
- You can NOT take a carry-on bag – only 1 personal item that must fit under the seat
- You must board with the last boarding group
- Your ticket is NOT refundable or changeable, even for a fee
- You will only get half elite qualifying miles and segments (but full redeemable miles and elite qualifying dollars)
However, if you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card, like the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard (and aren’t concerned about elite status), these fares aren’t as bad. That’s because:
- You WILL be allowed a carry-on item
- You will NOT need to board with the last boarding group
If you enter this contest, you could win a $200 American Airlines gift card! And hopefully stay out of Basic Economy!
How to Enter
To enter this giveaway, tell me what you think about American Airlines Basic Economy! You MUST click this linked post & comment with your answer on that post (Don’t comment on this post!).
You can also complete as many of the other tasks as you want. You’ll get 1 entry for each item you complete. But your entries only count if you complete the first step. The more ways you enter, the more chances you have to win!
You can enter until February 26, 2017, (Sunday) at 9:00 pm Central Time.