We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Million Mile Secrets reader, Nina, commented:
Can you merge AMEX Membership Rewards points to the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN to get 50% of your points back when you pay for flights with points?
Excellent question, Nina!
You’ll have to call AMEX to combine your Membership Rewards accounts. Once they are merged, you’ll earn AMEX Membership Rewards points from eligible personal and small business cards in one account.
I’ll explain how this perk can increase the value of your AMEX Membership Rewards points!
Limited-Time American Express Business Platinum Offer
Through January 25, 2017, you can earn up to 100,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points with the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN.
You’ll earn 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of account opening. And an extra 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same timeframe.
With the AMEX Business Platinum Card, you’ll also get:
- Earn 1.5X AMEX Membership Rewards points on single purchases of $5,000+
- Get 50% of your points back for ALL First Class or Business Class flights booked through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- Get 50% of your points back for all flights, including coach tickets, booked with your selected airline through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- $200 in statement credits per calendar year for airline incidentals with your selected airline (luggage fees, in-flight food & drink, etc.)
- Access to airport lounges (Delta, Priority Pass, Airspace, and American Express Centurion Lounges)
- Statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Free Hilton HHonors Gold elite status (free breakfast and upgrades when available)
- $450 annual fee is NOT waived
- Terms & limitations apply
This is a great deal! The higher sign-up bonus and Pay With Points perk are the 2 main reasons I applied for the card!
How to Get 50% of Your Points Back
Here’s how it works.
You’ll get 50% of your points back for ANY Business or First Class ticket you purchase using Pay With Points.
And you’ll get 50% back for coach tickets booked with Pay With Points on your selected airline.
Using Pay With Points gives folks a flexible option to book flights without blackout dates. Plus, you’ll earn airline miles on your paid flight. Using Pay With Points is essentially the same as paying with cash.
This perk can be even better for folks who have lots of American Express Membership Rewards points on other cards. Because you can merge your AMEX Membership Rewards accounts to use the 50% back Pay With Points benefit. So you’re increasing the value of your existing AMEX Membership Rewards points.
To merge your accounts, call AMEX at 800-297-3276. Make sure your accounts are linked to the AMEX Business Platinum. This way, you’ll be able to use the Pay With Points benefit with all your cards!
You won’t have the same flexibility to transfer AMEX points between account like you do with Chase cards.
For example, with Chase, you can transfer points back and forth between your various accounts. But after your AMEX accounts are merged, you’ll only have one AMEX Membership Rewards account.
You can merge AMEX Membership Rewards accounts so all your points are linked to your AMEX Business Platinum card.
You need to call AMEX at 800-297-3276 to merge your accounts.
If you have this card, have you used the Pay With Points perk yet?