Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Emily: I’ve wanted to go to Croatia for the last several years. I heard wonderful things about the country and how beautiful (and relatively affordable) it was compared to the rest of Europe. It’s located in Eastern Europe and is just a few hours from Venice, Italy, making it a great side trip.
Last year, my friends and I organized a group trip to visit Rovinj, a small coastal town on the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia. It’s a gorgeous town full of romance. Everything is stunning there, from the streets to the houses. The food is also excellent.
We went for a kizomba dance festival. Later in the trip report series, I will introduce you to kizomba and describe what an incredible dance it is! The dance festival was amazing and Croatia is definitely a place I want to return and spend more time exploring! The trip’s retail cost was ~$17,000 but I paid ~$900.
Captivating Croatia Trip Report Index:
- Part 1 – Introduction and Planning
- Part 2 – Admirals Club Lounge, New York (JFK)
- Part 3 – Air Berlin Flight to Croatia
- Part 4 – Getting to Venice
- Part 5 – A Night in Venice – Gritti Palace Hotel Overview
- Part 6 – A Night in Venice – Gritti Palace Hotel Room
- Part 7 – Apartment in Rovinj Croatia
- Part 8 – Activities in Rovinj Croatia – Discovering the Old Town
- Part 9 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Exploring the Old Church
- Part 10 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Day Trip to Plitvice Lakes
- Part 11 – Activities in Rovinj, Croatia – Dance Festival Review
- Part 12 – Eating in Rovinj, Croatia
- Part 13 – Shopping in Rovinj, Croatia
- Part 14 – Return Flight on Lufthansa
- Part 15 – Conclusion & Reader Giveaway
Admirals Club Lounge – JFK Airport, New York
The routing for my 1-way award flight was Austin to New York (JFK) on American Airlines. Then New York to Dusseldorf, and Dusseldorf to Venice on Air Berlin.
On our way to Croatia, my friend and I had a several hour layover in New York. If you’re traveling internationally, it’s best to not risk having short connections.
If your 1st leg gets delayed, then you could easily miss your overseas flight! So I like to allow at least a few hours for any unexpected delays or cancellations.
Because I have the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®, my friend and I were able to enter the Admirals Club Lounge for free! It was a large lounge with multiple areas to sit.
There was a separate media room where people could watch TV.
There was a full bar. Everything looked fairly new and recently updated.
You could choose light snacks to eat, and coffee (several kinds!) or tea to drink.
The heartiest food available was soup…
I opted to buy lunch outside the lounge, but couldn’t pass up a few cheese cubes.
And I had a cookie and a brownie for dessert! Thanks, Admirals Club Lounge!
There were small tables and chairs where you could eat, visit, or do work.
There was even food to go. Too bad you had to pay for it!
My favorite part of the lounge was the Eames style lounge chairs. There were partitions to separate every 2 chairs, so this provided a very nice private space in which to relax.
There was a kids’ play area that was separated by a door from the rest of the lounge, which helped contain any noise.
I had fun playing around!
You Can Do It, Too!
And now Citi Executive AAdvantage authorized users get free Admirals Club Lounge entry, even if they’re traveling on their own!
And you’ll also get:
- First checked bag free (for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation) on American Airlines domestic itineraries (worth $25 per bag)
- 25% discount on in-flight purchases (like food, drink, and headsets) on American Airlines
- Priority check-in, security (where available), and boarding
- 10,000 elite-qualifying miles if you spend $40,000 or more on the card in a calendar year
- 2 American Airlines miles per $1 you spend on American Airlines
- 1 American Airlines mile per $1 you spend on everything else
- No foreign transaction fees
We don’t earn a commission on this card, but we’ll always tell you about the best offers!
The Admirals Club Lounge in the New York JFK airport was a great way to take a break away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the airport. I liked getting free, fast internet and free drinks and snacks.