But, reservations made before February 17, 2016, will be honored at their current prices.
I’ll explain the changes. Because for certain hotels it’s best to book now. But for others it’s better to wait!
What’s Going On?
~200 IHG hotels are going up in prices, while the others are going down. Some notable increases are:
- Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan – increasing 5,000 points to 50,000 IHG points per night
- InterContinental Paris – Le Grand – increasing 10,000 points to 60,000 IHG points per night
- InterContinental London Park Lane – increasing 10,000 points to 60,000 IHG points per night
- InterContinental Hong Kong – increasing 10,000 points to 60,000 IHG points per night
And in total:
- 14 IHG hotels in Manhattan went up in price, plus the airport hotels in Queens
- 12 IHG hotels in London went up in price
- 7 IHG hotels in Paris went up in price
- 3 IHG hotels in Hong Kong went up in price
Some hotels we’ve stayed at will also be affected. In 2011, we stayed at the South Beach Z Ocean hotel for 25,000 IHG points per night. Now 5 years later, it’ll be 50,000 IHG points per night – double the cost!
We also stayed at the InterContinental Thalasso in Bora Bora, which will go up 10,000 points to 60,000 IHG points per night.
Here’s the full list of changes.
If you want to lock in the current prices, reservations made before February 17, 2016, will be honored.
Some Hotels Went Down in Price
But, it’s not all bad news! Considering IHG has over 5,000 hotels world-wide, 400 isn’t a big number.
And about half of the hotels on the list actually went down in price, including:
- Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Northwest
- 5 IHG hotels in Houston
- 2 IHG hotels in or near Memphis
- Holiday Inn Express Dusseldorf – City North
- 3 IHG hotels in Israel
- 5 IHG hotels in Shanghai
So depending on your travel goals, it might be better to wait ~2 weeks to book your award stay. Because you’ll save points!
Want More IHG Points?
To earn more IHG points consider:
- IHG Cash & Points Trick (cheapest option)
- Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points
- Buy IHG points
- Sign-up bonus from the Chase IHG Rewards card
Don’t forget you have until February 15, 2016, to earn at least 47,000 IHG points for ~$56 with the Priceless Surprises promotion. Now there’s an extra incentive to get out your pen and practice your best penmanship!
While I’m not happy about the increases, it’s to be expected that points prices won’t stay the same forever. Depending on which hotels you like, this is either good or not-so-good news. Considering they have over 5,000 hotels world-wide, it could have been much worse.
For an easy way to collect more IHG points, get out your most comfortable pen to enter IHG’s Priceless Surprises promotion. Because you’ll earn at least 47,000 IHG points for only ~$56.