Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Southwest has now opened its schedule through June 3, 2016.
So it’s a great time to book your Spring Break flights!
Many airlines open their schedule ~1 year in advance. But you can only book Southwest flights ~6 to 8 months ahead of time.
What’s great about Southwest is, even if you aren’t certain of your plans, you can still book your flight now and cancel or change Southwest flights without penalty.
Plus, there’s NO blackout dates. So if there are paid seats available you can also book an award ticket.
Bring Someone Along for (Almost) Free!
With the Southwest Companion Pass, your favorite person can fly with you on Southwest paid AND award tickets for (almost) free for up to 2 years!
This has saved me thousands of dollars! And it’s 1 of the 10 best deals in travel.
And it’s easy to earn the Southwest Companion Pass!
- Chase Southwest Plus Personal Card – 40,000 Southwest points when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
- Chase Southwest Premier Personal Card – 50,000 Southwest points when you spend $2,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
- Chase Southwest Premier Small Business Card – 50,000 Southwest points when you spend $2,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
We don’t earn a commission on these cards, but we’ll always tell you about the best deals!
How to Earn Southwest Points
Here’s a look at some ways you can earn Southwest points.
1. Paid Flights on Southwest
On paid Southwest flights you’ll earn:
- Business Select Fares: 12 points per $1 you spend
- Anytime Fares: 10 points per $1 you spend
- Wanna Get Away Fares: 6 points per $1 you spend
Points are earned on the base fare and excise taxes, but NOT the government taxes and fees.
2. Southwest Credit Cards
Link: Southwest Plus (Personal) Card
Link: Southwest Premier (Personal) Card
Link: Southwest Premier (Small Business) Card
You can quickly earn lots of Southwest points with the Chase Southwest cards. And along with earning 40,000 to 50,000 Southwest points when you complete the minimum spending on these cards, you’ll also get:
- 2 points per $1 you spend on Southwest flights and certain hotel and car rental partners
- 1 points per $1 you spend on everything else
- 6,000 Southwest bonus points (Premier cards) or 3,000 bonus points (Plus card) on your card anniversary each year
- No foreign transaction fees (Premier cards only)
The annual fee is NOT waived ($99 for the Premier cards and $69 for the Plus card).
3. Transfer Points From Chase Ultimate Rewards
Note: Chase Ultimate Rewards points transferred to Southwest do NOT count towards the Companion Pass.
4. Earn Bonus Points
You can also earn Southwest bonus points by:
If you’re working towards the Southwest Companion Pass, using the Choice Hotels Points Plus Cash trick is a cheap way to get extra qualifying Southwest points.
It’s a good time to book your spring travel! Southwest’s schedule is now open through June 3, 2016.
There are lots of ways to earn Southwest points. And if you earn the Southwest Companion Pass a friend can fly with you for (almost) free for up to 2 years!
It doesn’t hurt to book now before prices go up. That’s because if your plans change, you can cancel Southwest flights without penalty!