Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Downtown Disney is undergoing renovations and is now officially called Disney Springs. This new area will have a historic small town America feel, with lots to do and see!
Find out what you can expect and how you can save at the new Disney Springs!
What’s Disney Springs?
Link: Disney Springs
Link: Disney Springs Map
Downtown Disney is getting an upgrade and has a new name. It’s now Disney Springs, and will have over 150 shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues when the renovations are complete in 2016.
The area is open to the public while construction is taking place and ~70 retailers are currently open for business.
You’ll find places like:
Plus there’s NO fee for admission into Disney Springs and parking is free!
So this a great place to visit if you don’t want to spend the money on park tickets for the day.
How to Save 5% to 6% at Disney Springs
Just like the rest of Walt Disney World, most retailers at Disney Springs accept Disney gift cards. This is a terrific way to save money on shopping, dining, and entertainment!
That’s because you can earn points, discounts, and cash back on Disney gift cards by earning category bonuses with cards such as:
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – 6% cash back at US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year; then 1%. Terms apply.
- AMEX Prepaid Target REDcard – 5% automatic discount at Target stores
- AMEX SimplyCash – 5% cash back at US office supply stores. Terms apply.
- Chase Ink Bold, Chase Ink Business Cash Credit Card, Chase Ink Plus – 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points at office supply stores
Disney gift cards come in fixed denominations. So it can be a hassle to keep track of them all. But there’s a way you can consolidate your Disney gift cards by transferring the balance from 1 gift card to another.
You Can Save Much More With Apple Pay!
Many Walt Disney World retailers, including the ones at Disney Springs, like Boathouse, accept Apple Pay.
And you can earn 10% cash back (on up to $10,000 in spending) when you use Apple Pay in-store with Discover it or Discover it Miles. Plus, new Discover it & Discover it Miles cardholders or folks who registered earlier this year will have their cash back DOUBLED at the end their 1st 12 billing cycles.
This deal is good through December 31, 2015.
And it adds up to Big Savings:
- 22% cash back on regular purchases with the Discover it card (1% cash back + 10% bonus = 11%, doubled after 12 billing cycles)
- 23% back on regular purchases with the Discover it Miles card (1.5% back + 10% bonus = 11.5%, doubled after 12 billing cycles)
- 30% cash back on up to $1,500 in spending per quarter in bonus categories with the Discover it card (5% cash back + 10% bonus = 15%, doubled after 12 billing cycles)
If you don’t have a newer version of the iPhone that’s compatible with Apple Pay, check out these 3 work arounds that can help you get in on this incredible deal!
Note: However, some folks report Walt Disney World is experiencing a glitch and isn’t able to accept Apple Pay with Discover cards. Hopefully, they’ll have this issue fixed soon. But you may want to check before signing-up for a Discover card or getting a new iPhone!
Downtown Disney is getting a makeover. And it’s now called Disney Springs. This upgraded area will have over 150 retailers.
This is a great spot to get away from the theme parks for a day because you don’t have to pay admission or parking fees.
You can save on shopping, dining, and entertainment at Disney Springs (and around the rest of Walt Disney World) by purchasing Disney gift cards ahead of time at grocery and office supply stores where you can earn 5% to 6% cash back with cards like AMEX SimplyCash.
Note: According this post, Walt Disney World may currently be unable to accept Discover cards through Apple Pay but they are working to fix the issue.
If you want more ideas on how to save at Walt Disney World, read my series on how to use miles & points to get to Disney and save money while you’re there.