Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Southwest has opened up their schedule through March 8, 2016. So this is an excellent time to start planning Valentine’s Day travel.
While most airlines open their schedules ~1 year in advance, you can only book Southwest flights ~6 to 8 months beforehand.
And 1 of the great things about Southwest is you can book now and if your plans change, you can get a refund! Plus, there are no blackout dates. So if there are seats available, you can book an award ticket.
Your Favorite Person Could Fly With You for (Almost) Free!
Link: Southwest Companion Pass
With the Southwest Companion Pass a friend or family member can fly with you for close to free for up to 2 years!
You can earn this status in just 8 easy steps. Signing-up for 2 Chase Southwest cards with a 50,000 point bonus will get you most of the way to the 110,000 points you need in a calendar year to qualify.
The increased 50,000 Southwest point bonus on these cards usually comes back every few months.
Here are the current bonuses for the Chase Southwest cards:
- Chase Southwest Plus Personal Card – 25,000 Southwest points when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
- Chase Southwest Premier Personal Card – 25,000 Southwest points when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
- Chase Southwest Premier Business Card – 50,000 Southwest points when you spend $2,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account
Need More Southwest Points?
There are lots of ways to earn them!
1. Paid Flights on Southwest
When you fly Southwest with a paid ticket you’ll earn:
- Business Select Fares: 12 points per $1 you spend
- Anytime Fares: 10 points per $1 you spend
- Wanna Get Away Fares: 6 points per $1 you spend
Points are earned on the base fare and excise taxes, but NOT the government taxes and fees.
2. Southwest Credit Cards
The Chase Southwest cards are the fastest way to earn a lot of Southwest points. It’s best to wait for the 50,000 Southwest point sign-up bonus on these cards (which come and go every few months).
You’ll also get:
- 2 points per $1 you spend on Southwest flights and certain hotel and car rental partners
- 1 points per $1 you spend on everything else
- 6,000 Southwest bonus points (Premier cards) or 3,000 bonus points (Plus card) on your card anniversary each year
- No foreign transaction fees (Premier cards only)
The $99 annual fee for the Premier cards ($69 for the Plus card) is NOT waived the 1st year.
3. Transfer Points From Chase Ultimate Rewards
4. Everyday Spending & Hotel Point Transfers
You can also earn Southwest bonus points by:
You can now book Southwest flights through March 8, 2016.
Even if you aren’t certain about your plans, it’s worth booking now. That’s because you can cancel Southwest award flights for a full refund.
And paid flights can be cancelled up to 10 minutes before your flight, for credit towards a future flight (expires after 1 year).