We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
1. Earn Up to 25,000 Points With Marriott Getaway Bonus
You can earn up to 25,000 bonus points for stays at Marriott hotels between June 1, 2014 and August 31, 2014.
To be eligible, register for the Marriott Rewards Getaway Bonus by July 31, 2014.
Depending on your Marriott account, you’ll be targeted for 1 of the following versions of this bonus:
- Double Marriott points following your third paid stay, up to 25,000 bonus points
- Double Marriott points following your second paid stay, up to 25,000 bonus points
- 25,000 bonus points after 15 paid nights, plus an additional 10,000 points after 20 paid nights, for a total of 35,000 bonus points
- 35,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights, plus an additional 10,000 points after 25 paid nights, for a total of 45,000 bonus points
Using the Bonus Marriott Points
You can expect the bonus points to be posted to your account 3 to 5 days after each eligible stay.
2. Up to 35% Bonus on Purchase of Alaska Airlines Miles
Alaska Airlines is offering up to a 35% bonus on the purchase of miles, through May 25, 2014.
The number of bonus miles you earn depends on how many miles you buy:
- Buy 5,000 to 19,000 Miles – Receive a 20% Bonus
- Buy 20,000 to 34,000 Miles – Receive a 30% Bonus
- Buy 35,000 to 40,000 Miles – Receive a 35% Bonus
If you purchase the maximum of 40,000 miles, you would receive a total of 54,000 miles. At a total cost of ~$1,183 including taxes and fees, this comes to ~2.2 cents per mile (~$1,183 total cost / 54,000 total miles).
Using the Miles
Alaska Airlines miles are incredibly useful because they partner with a number of airlines you can book flights on including American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Emirates, Korean and Qantas.
You can book 1-way awards on any of Alaska Airline’s partner airlines. When booking international partner airline awards, you can also have a stopover on a 1-way award!
I’ve written a comprehensive post about how to use Alaska Airline miles that you may find useful!
Alaska Airlines Miles Have Restrictions
When you book a partner award ticket, you can only have ONE partner airline in addition to Alaska Airlines for each 1-way segment.
For example, if you want to fly from Dallas to Hong Kong 1-way, you can NOT combine American Airlines and Cathay Pacific because that involves 2 partners of Alaska Airlines (American Airlines & Cathay Pacific).
However, you CAN combine Alaska Airlines and Cathay Pacific, because that only involves 1 partner airline (Cathay Pacific).
And you CAN mix-and-match partners on a round-trip award if you use only 1 partner airline in each direction.
For example, you can fly Los Angeles to Seoul with Alaska Airlines and Delta. You can then return from Seoul to Los Angeles with American Airlines, because you only have 1 partner in each direction of travel!
3. Flying Blue Promo Awards
Eligible North American departure cities to Europe include:
- Air France – 25% Discount on Premium Economy to and from Minneapolis between July 1, 2014 and August 31, 2014.
- Air France and KLM – 25% Discount on Business Class to and from Toronto between July 1, 2014 and August 31, 2014.
- KLM – 25% Discount on Business Class to and from Chicago between July 1, 2014 and August 31, 2014.
- Air France and KLM – 50% Discount on Business Class to and from Washington, DC between July 1, 2014 and August 31, 2014
To be eligible, you must book these awards by May 31, 2014.
It’s not guaranteed there will be seats available for the dates you want so see the Flying Blue Promo Awards page for details.
Remember that fuel surcharges and ticketing fees on Flying Blue award redemptions can easily add up to $400 to $500. Still, half price award tickets in Business Class could be a good deal for some folks.
You can transfer AMEX Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
4. Lufthansa Releases Extra Award Seats
Via Just Another Points Traveler, United Airlines has released extra award seats in coach and Business Class, for travel in July 2014.