Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Thinking of taking a beach vacation this spring?
Starting this Sunday, April 20, 2014, IHG Rewards has a half price sale on award nights at certain hotels in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. You’ll save 50% off the regular amount of points needed to book the stay.
Which Hotels Are Participating?
You have to book between April 20, 2014, and May 3, 2014, to get 50% off award nights. There are 11 hotels taking part in the sale for stays between May 1, 2014, and June 12, 2014:
- InterContinental Presidente Ixtapa Resort, Mexico
- InterContinental Playa Bonita Resort & Spa, Panama
- InterContinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa, Mexico
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Acapulco, Mexico
- Holiday Inn Resort Aruba
- Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman
- Holiday Inn Resort Acapulco, Mexico
- Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All Inclusive, Mexico
- Holiday Inn Resort Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Holiday Inn Hotel Cancun Arenas, Mexico
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Some of these are luxury hotels that are normally quite expensive! So this could be a good opportunity to treat yourself or your loved ones to a special trip.
For example, the InterContinental President Cozumel Resort Spa normally costs 30,000 points per night. But with this sale, it will only cost 15,000 points per night.
The best available refundable rate at the same hotel is ~$259 + tax = ~$321.
Saving $321 for 15,000 IHG Rewards points is a very good deal!
This is the low season in those regions, but I usually prefer traveling in low or shoulder season when things are quieter and cheaper!
Earning IHG Rewards Points
You can get IHG Rewards points by:
- Using Cash & Points to buy points for 0.7 cents per point.
- Transferring Ultimate Rewards points from your Chase Sapphire Preferred, (no longer offered) Chase Ink Bold, or Chase Ink Plus.
- Applying for the IHG Rewards credit card for 80,000 points. It also includes a free night every year, after your 1st year which makes up for the annual fee.
Usually, transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards to IHG Rewards is not the best value, but it certainly could make sense for hotels on the PointsBreak list. If you’re not averse to using the cash and points trick, you can use the cash and points trick to buy IHG Rewards points and then get a statement reimbursement of 1 cent per Ultimate Rewards points.
This is a better value than redeeming Ultimate Rewards points directly for IHG Rewards points.
You can get award nights for 50% off at certain IHG hotels in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. But you have to book by May 3, 2014, and stay between May 1, 2014, and June 12, 2014.
Emily and I wish we could take advantage of this deal, but we already have some trips booked for spring.
Which hotels on the list interest you?