We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Link: PointsBreak Preview List
You can book the new PointsBreak hotels from IHG Rewards today. Hotels on the PointsBreak list cost only 5,000 points for a night (the regular rate is 10,000 to 50,000 points)!
The new list is supposed to go live today, so keep checking if all the hotels on the preview list are not available.
I’d book each night as a separate reservation.
That’s because you risk having to pay the full price (instead of 5,000 points) if the hotel is no longer selling nights at the PointsBreak price of 5,000 points a night, and you need to cancel even one night of your reservation.
You can very easily cancel the nights which you will don’t plan on using if you book each night separately!
Hotels usually will not have you change rooms even if you have separate reservations, but it doesn’t hurt to call or email the hotel in advance and ask to not have to change rooms.
Here’s what looks interesting to me, but I don’t like that you have to stay by March 31, 2014. I just can’t drop everything and go somewhere (as much as I’d like to)!
But it doesn’t matter if they are interesting to me. What matters is that YOU find them interesting and can save money or points by booking them!
5,000 IHG hotel points is a heck of a deal so keep a look out for hotels in cities in the US or outside where you might be!
Lots of folks get disappointed if there aren’t many of IHG Rewards top-tier InterContinental hotels on the list. I prefer to see the PointsBreak list as a way to take more trips or to save money on existing hotel bookings!
1. Intercontinental Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
2. Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach (California)
3. Hotel Indigo Miami Lakes
4. Crowne Plaza Ankara (Turkey)
5. Staybridge Suites Atlanta Airport
6. Candlewood Suites Indianapolis
7. Crowne Plaza Cleveland Airport
8. Crowne Plaza Madison (Wisconsin)
9. InterContinental Beijing Beichen
10. Holiday Inn Jaipur (India)
Earning IHG Rewards Points
You can get IHG Rewards points by:
- Using Cash & Points to buy points for 0.7 cents per point.
- Transferring Ultimate Rewards points from your Chase Sapphire Preferred, (no longer offered) Chase Ink Bold, or Chase Ink Plus.
- Applying for the IHG Rewards credit card for up to 80,000 points. It also includes a free night every year, after your 1st year which more than makes up for the $49 annual fee.
Usually, transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards to IHG Rewards is not the best value, but it certainly could make sense for hotels on the PointsBreak list.
If you’re not averse to using the cash and points trick, you can use the cash and points trick to buy IHG Rewards points and then get a statement reimbursement of 1 cent per Ultimate Rewards points. This is a better value than redeeming Ultimate Rewards points directly for IHG Rewards points.
Don’t count on all the hotels on the PointsBreak list being available through March 31 2014, because hotels may sell out and can be removed from the list at any time.
It doesn’t hurt to make a booking using points because you can usually cancel them without a penalty (but read the cancellation policy before booking).