Emily: One of my best friends lives in Arlington, Virginia, so I don’t see her very often. We met in college and have been friends ever since. The first (and last) time we took a vacation together was to Barcelona, Spain in 2007.
I thought it would be super fun to celebrate my 30th birthday with her in the Dominican Republic. So we planned a trip to 3 locations, including Santo Domingo, Bayahibe, and Bavaro (near Punta Cana) over the course of one week.
Emily’s Birthday Trip to the Dominican Republic Index:
- Trip to the Dominican Republic – Introduction and Planning
- Santo Domingo Hotel – Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando
- Activities in Santo Domingo – Zona Colonial and Latin Dancing
- Activities in Santo Domingo – Casa de Orientacion y Desarrollo Real (CODR)
- Eating in Santo Domingo
- Bayahibe – Isla Saona and Hotel Bayahibe
- Bavaro Hotel – Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
- Activities in and Around Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
- Eating in and Around Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
- Return Delta Flight from Punta Cana
- Conclusion and Blog Giveaway
Punta Cana International Airport
We flew back to the US from the Punta Cana International Airport in the Dominican Republic.
We waited in a short Sky Priority line, but actually waited longer than the regular line because only one employee was staffed for our line.
We bought a few more souvenirs for our family and friends…
There was a small lounge which only had big couches and a bar. We skipped it!
We walked to our flight, and were serenaded by some musicians!
Kristen: The first class on the way home had a little less wow factor. More significantly we had to wait for them to open a gate for us and then proceeded to stand outside on a concrete slab for about 30 minutes.
Emily: On the return flight, Kristen had pasta salad…
…and I had a wrap.
We flew over some islands, and tried to guess which ones they were.
We had a three hour layover in Atlanta that went by very fast. Customs and immigration took 2 hours. We said our goodbyes and boarded our individual flights home. But we’ll be back to the wonderful Dominican Republic someday!