We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
National Car Rental reached out to me and is giving away a $100 gas card to a lucky Million Mile Secrets reader!
You can get a free car rental after every 2 rentals from National Car Rental up to January 31, 2012 via there One, Two, Free promotion.
There is no limit to the number of free rentals you can earn.
I don’t get paid for running the contest, nor do I get a $100 gas card but I do think that this is one of the better rental car promotions currently available.
I actually used National Car Rental (and its overseas partner Alamo) exclusively when I was globetrotting on work in my previous job. It was very easy to get out of the airport rental lot quickly, which is what I was looking for when traveling.
And being able to choose your car from the lot, including sports cars and SUVs – as opposed to be preassigned a car – introduced an element of fun into a rather formulaic business travel routine!
I would try out a different car on every trip – just because I could. And I would pay only the midsize car rate despite which car I chose!
My current employer doesn’t use National, and I do miss the convenience of the Emerald Aisle.
Million Mile Secrets $100 Gas Card Contest
Step 1 – Register for free Emerald Club status from National Car Rental
It only takes a minute and automatically enrolls you in the One,Two, Free promotion. If you’re an existing Emerald Club member, you just enter in your membership number to register for the One, Two, Free promotion.
You don’t really have to do this, and there’s no way I’d know if you didn’t, but I’d really, really appreciate it!
That’s because National Car Rental will mention my blog on Twitter and Facebook (which I just joined!) based on the number of referrals to the Emerald Club.
I don’t have any advertising or credit card referral links on the blog, but I do get very happy when Million Mile Secrets is mentioned elsewhere!
I have been an Emerald Club member for over 7 years, and Emily has just started using the Emerald Club when she travels for work.
National’s Emerald Club is unique in that you go straight to the “Emerald Aisle” in the National Car Rental lot and actually choose the car you want to drive. Once you’ve selected the car you want, you just drive it out of the lot.
This is very quick and efficient and is great whether you are a business traveler or traveling with children.
For example, if I was traveling with colleagues we would get a SUV, but if I was by myself, I would get a smaller car which was easier to drive in some cities.
I also loved being able to select which car I was going to drive and poking around the lot to see what was available. Even better was paying the midsize rate and driving a more expensive car!
National’s Emerald Aisle is not available in all locations, but I never visited an airport in the US which didn’t have an Emerald Aisle. The Emerald Aisle is a cool concept, and I hope National rolls it out to other locations as well.
Step 2 – Comment on this post, “like” me on Facebook, and/or follow me on Twitter:
1. Comment once on how you would use your free rental day. To make it more fun, you can also suggest which car you’d like to drive!
For 2 additional entries to the $100 gas card giveaway you can:
2. Like me on Facebook!
3. Follow me on Twitter (@MilMileSecrets)
If you liked my Facebook page or followed me on Twitter yesterday (my first day on Facebook and Twitter), I’ll include you in the drawing. Just leave a comment on this post as well.
The contest ends at 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, September 24, 2011. I will assign a random number to each comment, Facebook “like”, and Twitter follower and then draw a winner.
National One, Two, Free Promotion
1. What – Earn 1 free rental day after every 2 qualifying rentals from National Car Rental up to January 31, 2012
- Only rentals earned after registering will count, so if you have got an existing National Car rental lined up, you may want to cancel it and rebook (provided the rates have not increased a lot).
- Qualifying rental is a Midsize or larger car in the US for 2 consecutive days.
- You can use the free days earned up to June 25, 2012 for a compact through full-size car.
- You can’t use more than 3 free days for a reservation, so this is good only for shorter rentals. I wish they didn’t have this restriction!
- You can’t use the rewards for someone else since they are non-transferable.
2. Free Referral – You can earn up to 10 free rentals just by referring your friends to the Emerald Club and if they make 1 qualifying rental by January 31, 2011.
3. Status Match – National will status match your Avis and Hertz elite status.
If you’ve got:
- Avis Preferred First or Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star. Get status matched to Emerald Club Executive. The benefits of Emerald Club Executive include a better selection of cars from the Executive aisle and paying for 1 car class lower than what you booked.
- Avis President’s Club, Avis Chairman’s Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold or President’s Circle. Get status matched to Emerald Club Executive Elite.
The status match process is electronic and can be completed very quickly!
I usually use Priceline’s “name your own price” for cheap car rentals, but I’ll be considering National’s One, Two, Free promotion, especially for shorter rental durations.
Priceline’s “name your price” is likely the cheapest way to rent a car, but if you prefer not wasting time researching low bids, and standing in line at the airport processing paperwork, then National’s Emerald Aisle & One, Two, Free promotion might be for you!
How will you use your free rental day and which car would you like to drive?
- July App-o-Rama. 6 Cards. 305,000 Miles & Points.
- Use The 2-Browser Trick To Earn 150,000 Free AAdvantage Miles
- 5 Free Ways To Find Out Which Credit Bureau Banks Use & Why It Matters
Full Disclosure: I do not receive cash or other compensation from National Car Rental for this promotion or contest. Only the contest winner receives a $100 gas gift card. However, I may be featured by National on their Twitter or Facebook page.