Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
You can buy American Airlines miles at a steep discount right now!
Via One Mile at a Time, you can buy American Airlines miles for as low as ~1.8 cents each through April 13, 2017.
I’ll share the details!
Buy American Airlines Miles and Earn a Bonus
You can earn up to 115,000 bonus American Airlines miles when you buy American Airlines miles through April 13, 2017. That’s much better than American Airlines’ January promotion. But not quite as good as the one before that.
You can use these miles for award seats on American Airlines or any of their partners, like Hawaiian Airlines or Japan Airlines!
To qualify for a bonus, you’ll need to purchase a minimum of 6,000 American Airlines miles. And the more miles you buy, the more bonus miles you’ll earn.
Here’s how many bonus miles you can earn:
- Buy 6,000 to 9,000 American Airlines miles – Get 1,500 bonus miles
- Buy 10,000 to 19,000 American Airlines miles – Get 3,500 bonus miles
- Buy 20,000 to 29,000 American Airlines miles – Get 7,500 bonus miles
- Buy 30,000 to 39,000 American Airlines miles – Get 15,000 bonus miles
- Buy 40,000 to 54,000 American Airlines miles – Get 22,500 bonus miles
- Buy 55,000 to 69,000 American Airlines miles – Get 30,000 bonus miles
- Buy 70,000 to 84,000 American Airlines miles – Get 40,000 bonus miles
- Buy 85,000 to 99,000 American Airlines miles – Get 50,000 bonus miles
- Buy 100,000 to 124,000 American Airlines miles – Get 60,000 bonus miles
- Buy 125,000 to 149,000 American Airlines miles – Get 75,000 bonus miles
- Buy 150,000 American Airlines miles – Get 115,000 bonus miles
So if you buy 6,000 American Airlines miles to the get minimum 1,500 mile bonus, you’ll pay ~$220 , or ~2.9 cents per mile (~$220 / 7,500 miles).
If you buy 150,000 miles to earn the maximum 115,000 mile bonus, you’ll pay $4,786, or ~1.8 cents per mile ($4,786 / 265,000 miles).
Buy American Airlines Miles for Business or First Class Seats
Making the most of this promotion by spending $4,786 is not cheap. But it could be worth it for folks who want to fly internationally in Business Class or First Class.
That’s because it costs 57,500 American Airlines miles for a one-way Business Class ticket from the US to Europe. Or 60,000 American Airlines miles for a one-way Business Class ticket to Japan.
For ~$4,787, you would have more than enough American Airlines miles for 2 round-trip Business Class tickets to Europe or Asia. For example:
- 2 round-trip Business Class tickets from Austin to Prague can cost ~$8,000 total, or 230,000 American Airlines miles. If you buy 265,000 miles, you’ll have saved $3,200+, and still have enough miles left for a one-way coach ticket back to Europe!
Note: If you are only interested in flying in coach, you can still save money, but you probably won’t save nearly as much.
Through April 13, 2017, you’ll earn a bonus when you buy American Airlines miles. You can earn between 1,500 and 115,000 bonus miles, depending on how many miles you buy.
This deal is best for folks who need a few miles to top-off their account for an upcoming trip. Or if you want to fly Business or First Class at a discount.
Do you think you’ll jump on this promotion? Let me know in the comments!