Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
New year, new 5% cash back bonus categories!
Here are this quarter’s categories. And how to register!
Don’t Miss 5X This Quarter!
1. Chase Freedom
Link: Chase Freedom
Through March 31, 2017, you’ll earn 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points (5% cash back) on up to $1,500 in combined spending at gas stations and on commuter transportation with the Chase Freedom card when you activate the bonus by March 14, 2017.
When you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, Ink Business Preferred, Ink Bold (no longer available), or the Ink Plus (no longer available), you can transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to airline and hotel partners like United Airlines and Hyatt for Big Travel!
2. Discover it
Link: Discover it
Through March 31, 2017, you’ll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases at gas stations, ground transportation, and wholesale clubs with the Discover it card.
Just remember, you must activate the bonus before you shop.
And if you’re a new cardmember, Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned after the first 12 billing cycles.
So you can effectively earn 10% cash back on the rotating bonus categories, which is a great deal!
For folks who already have the card, you’re eligible to get a 2nd card if you’ve had the 1st card at least 1 year.
3. Citi Dividend
The Citi Dividend card is no longer open to new applicants. But if you already have this card, you can earn 5% cash back at Home Depot and home furnishing stores through March 31, 2017.
You can earn a total of $300 cash back each year with the Citi Dividend card. So you can earn it all in 1 quarter or throughout the year.
4. US Bank Cash+
Link: US Bank Cash+
Link: US Bank Cash+ Categories
Each quarter with the US Bank Cash+ card, you can choose new bonus spending categories.
You can pick two 5% cash back categories and one 2% cash back category (gas stations, groceries, or restaurants).
There are lots of 5% cash back categories! Here are a few ideas, but check the merchant examples for others:
- Bookstores – Barnes & Noble, Amazon Kindle Books, and some University Bookstores. Note: Some folks say they’ve received 5% back on many Amazon purchases besides books with this category.
- Car Rental – Avis, Budget, National Car Rental
- Cell Phone – AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- Charity – American Cancer Society, Kiva, The Salvation Army
- Department Stores – Bloomingdales, JCPenney, Nordstrom Rack
- Electronics Stores – Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, TigerDirect
- Fast Food – Chipotle, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and Cold Stone Creamery!
- Furniture Stores – American Furniture, Ethan Allen, IKEA
- Gyms – 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, LA Fitness
- Movie Theaters – AMC Theatres, Fandango.com, Regal Cinemas
- Select Clothing Stores – Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy
- Sporting Good Stores – Big 5 Sporting Goods, REI, Sports Authority
Don’t forget to pick your categories! Because if you don’t, you’ll only earn 1% cash back on all spending until next quarter!
Earn Bonus Points All the Time
Some cards have terrific cash back bonuses all the time at stores where you can pick up a variety of items!
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – 6% cash back at US supermarkets; then 1% (on up to $6,000 in spending per year) and 3% cash back at US gas stations. Terms apply.
- SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express – 5% cash back at US office supply stores. Terms apply.
Or consider cards which offer bonus miles, points, or cash back on all spending, like:
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard – 2X Arrival miles on all purchases, worth 2.1% back when redeemed for $100+ travel expenses
- Discover it Miles – 1.5 miles per $1 you spend (worth 1.5% back), matched at the end of the first year, for an effective 3% back on everything
You can earn extra points & cash back in categories like gas stations and commuter transportation with Chase Freedom and Discover it. Or Home Depot and home furnishing stores with Citi Dividend. The bonus categories are through March 31, 2017.
Just remember you must activate the new bonus categories to earn the extra points or cash back!